Almost teen dd has requested makeup for Xmas...help please!

(38 Posts)
Vajazzler Sun 27-Nov-16 22:07:46

My dd (12/year8) has put make up on her Xmas list. I don't really do make up myself and haven't for a long time but I'm happy for her to make this move into cosmetics and stuff if that's what she wants but I'm clueless as to brands etc.
What is a good brand to start out with? I'd like to be able to give her a makeup bag with a few things in so she has a selection to try out. Will she need brushes? I'd do what kind? Help me please!!!

70isaLimitNotaTarget Sun 27-Nov-16 22:15:42

NYX at Boots (best if you can look instore rather than online, the colours are hard to judge by the swatches)

My teenage DD loves mooching about the NYX counters (the make-up is good prices and non animal tested)
the brushes are ££ but look in Superdrugs or Boots for special offers on Real Techniques, you can get a set of brushes to start off.
Good brushes make a huge difference and if she looks after them they'll last years.

And - more importantant than the make-up- a good simple cleanser.
DD likes my BodyShop Camimile Balm. Used with a muslin cloth it takes it all off.

Southernc0mfortmirror Sun 27-Nov-16 22:16:11

It might be good to set her up with some decent brushes. The Real Techniques ones are on offer in Boots at the minute and are sometimes at a good price on Amazon. Get her a good brush cleaner and they'll last her for years, as long as she takes care of them.

I'd guess foundation may not be necessary yet so maybe some nice eye shadows. Urban Decays Naked range is good and you can get the basic sets which are a bit cheaper. Alternatively palettes from MUA and Sleek are cheaper but decent for the price.

Possibly a nice Benefit lip and cheek tiny. Bourjois also do good budget blusher.

I'd also recommend Maybelline mascara - that's definitely a product that isn't worth going high end for, as they need replacing approximately every 6 months.

Southernc0mfortmirror Sun 27-Nov-16 22:18:05

Oh yes, definitely a good cleanser, especially eye make up remover. I'd also recommend the Bodyshops camomile range. And the aloe Vera moisturiser if she experiences any reddening once she starts using make up.

PossumInAPearTree Sun 27-Nov-16 22:19:42

Real technique brushes are popular.

Revolution at Superdrug are a good brand, do great eyeshadows.

Vajazzler Sun 27-Nov-16 22:22:41

Thank you all! I shall make a trip into town armed with these answers and see what I find. I'm really useless at stuff like this!

Mummyoftwo91 Sun 27-Nov-16 22:33:34

I would maybe try some mineral make up, bare minerals is quite pricy although they do a starter kit for about 40/50 quid including foundation, concealer, blush and setting powder and comes with 2 brushes, there are cheaper brands Available, mineral make up is not too harsh on skin especially with her being a hormonal teen, it's also pretty fool proof and not too cakey looking so she will still look lovely and natural

gillybeanz Sun 27-Nov-16 22:33:59

I'm trying to find a pallette with browns and greens for dd and can't find one.
They all have blues with the browns, which is silly if you have brown eyes isn't it?
Blushers all seem the wrong colour too, anyone know how much the stores cost for a consultation and are you pressured into buying a lot of expensive make up?
My dd is 12 too.

GreenGinger2 Sun 27-Nov-16 23:04:23

I give my dd all my Clinique samples.

Tootsiepops Sun 27-Nov-16 23:07:03

How about booking her a make up lesson with a make up artist so that she knows what make up suits her best, and how to apply it?

ElizaSchuyler Sun 27-Nov-16 23:08:26

Dd has had free consultations at No 7 & Bobbi Brown & neither were high pressure. However since she went to no 7 they have changed a lot of their colours, the blisters are not nice now.

Bobbi Brown was expensive but we bought the tinted moisturiser & colour matched the rest with cheaper brands.

PossumInAPearTree Sun 27-Nov-16 23:09:13

browns and greens

Ok, some blues as well! Can't believe how much is out of stock with the palettes, guess loads getting bought as xmas presents.

QueenMortificado Sun 27-Nov-16 23:12:13

Giving make up brushes is SUCH a mum thing to do. Honestly, when I was 12 I'd have not given a toss about the brushes I had but been much more interested in the actual make up. Fingers are as good applicator as anything else.

I'd go to Boots and buy a load of cheapie stuff from Rimmel etc so she can know what she likes before buying more expensive stuff. You don't want to spend £20 on something from benefit which gets used once and then never seen again.

Agree on some good make up remover though!

hollinhurst84 Sun 27-Nov-16 23:17:39

Boots (some stores) have makeup obsession in, the website has it on
You can pick colours, at the minute you get a palette free that holds 6 colours if you spend £12 on the eyeshadows etc
Basically you choose whatever eyeshadows, blushers, highlighters you want and they pop in the palette
Really pigmented and nice quality, these are the ones I got and you can get the palette engraved

ElizaSchuyler Sun 27-Nov-16 23:25:24

I disagree teen

Real Techniques are covered amongst teens & pre teens because as well as being really good brushes they were developed by two you tubers.

Sweetwater Sun 27-Nov-16 23:31:01

I got my dd the Bobbi Brown teen make up book when she started to get interested in make up. It's really good as it encourages a less is more approach but gives a lot of practical information.

FledglingFTB Sun 27-Nov-16 23:32:58

I'm not a massive makeup wearer, but I spotted HQ Hair have a beauty bauble, which is like a little kit it's wrapped in a giant bauble so very gift-y. Great brands, so I've but the bullet and bought it. Found a £5 voucher too so only £20.

Boots no.7 and the natural collection or the Body Shop are solid options.

Crispbutty Sun 27-Nov-16 23:35:04

I would give her boots vouchers then she can pick what she likes and probably get some bargains in the sales too

eyebrowsonfleek Mon 28-Nov-16 00:05:06

Many teens (like mine) get their makeup knowledge from YouTubers in their 20s like Zoella who definitely use brushes.

Superdrug seems to be more popular and reasonably priced than Boots because of the multiple budget ranges that they have.

PutDownThatLaptop Mon 28-Nov-16 00:17:26

Boots has a good set right now called "Benefit Besties" which is £30 for a £60 value set.

mamabluestar Mon 28-Nov-16 06:11:01

Boots have benefit minis on offer 4 for £15 and a free stocking to wrap them in or £5 each. I've been eyeing them up fir my teenage neices

PossumInAPearTree Mon 28-Nov-16 06:34:27

If you're anywhere near London or Cambridge then Inglot are an amazing shop. Again you can make your own eyeshadow palettes up. Eyeshadow is as good as Mac but cheaper.

adaisychain Mon 28-Nov-16 06:42:03

Makeup revoluation/Freedom makeup are great for affordable but really good quality eyeshadow palettes with really wearable colours.

Bobsmum02 Mon 28-Nov-16 07:05:59

I'd second the recommendation for bare minerals for foundations, being a very light powder it is easy to apply and looks a lot less heavy handed than some other foundations plus it is breathable so good for young skin.

For eye shadows etc go to Superdrug and look at make up revolution, their eye shadows are very cheap and actually very good quality. Their colour palettes are dupes for urban decay naked palettes which are £38 each!! Actually at the mo they have a massive palette of eye shadows or blushes for £10 each.

3amEternal Mon 28-Nov-16 07:09:38

Mine likes Models Own stuff. Also agree Real Techniques brushes are coveted.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now