£20 gift for a 13 year old boy I don't know?

(16 Posts)
ecuse Fri 25-Nov-16 12:53:41

I'm doing one of those 'buy a vulnerable kid a christmas present' things. I have been assigned a 13 year old boy. I have very little experience of 13yo boys!

I obviously can't assume he will have things like playstations etc so games are out of the question.

What do 13 year old boys like? It's a tricky age, insofar as I assume it's a bit old for toys, but non-toy gifts probably rely a bit more on knowing personal preferences.

I can't decide whether a voucher would be good because he can choose something he really wants, or bad because it might not be very fun to unwrap.

Thoughts?

tassisssss Fri 25-Nov-16 14:43:13

Agree a v tricky age (I have one at home!). I would do a voucher plus something to unwrap in the situation.

Ripleys book, chocolates or sweets and a tenner amazon voucher - done!

Or an over door basketball net thing that costs under a tenner, the new Now CD, headphones, guiness book of records, christmas socks...

SunnySomer Fri 25-Nov-16 14:45:54

Or look at www.wickeduncle.co.uk for inspiration. I've been finding ideas for nephews on there.

PJBanana Fri 25-Nov-16 15:22:23

I would probably choose from Christmas sweets, cheap headphones/mini speaker, or a voucher for a high street shop.

I agree it's really difficult without knowing personal preferences!

Sadik Fri 25-Nov-16 16:04:15

I reckon you can't go wrong with a voucher but wrapped up with some sweets (so say maybe a £15 voucher and a giant choc bar or the like).

ecuse Fri 25-Nov-16 19:58:41

ooh, yes, voucher plus a little thing to unwrap might be a good compromise. thanks!

LolaTheDarkDestroyer Fri 25-Nov-16 22:30:52

If he's vulnerable though will he have access to spend a voucher?.. internet etc. Without knowing what he's into it's hard. Maybe a jd voucher that he can spend in store.

Coughingchildren5 Fri 25-Nov-16 22:33:46

Lego for that age range

Oly5 Fri 25-Nov-16 22:37:48

Probably too old for
Lego. Voucher and chocolate/cinema vouchers?

iknowimcoming Fri 25-Nov-16 22:40:19

Rubik's cube a voucher and sweeties

Tantrictantrum Fri 25-Nov-16 22:43:57

Some of the schemes don't allow food gifts so I would avoid sweets.

Wind up radio?
Football and pump?
Nanoblocks?

SavoyCabbage Fri 25-Nov-16 22:52:50

I wouldn't get a voucher as you dot know his circumstances and often spending a voucher can make you reliant on things you may not be able to control. Travelling, accessing the internet etc.

I'd get him a comic or a graphic novel, drawing book, fineliner pens, sweets, a hat.

ecuse Wed 07-Dec-16 12:47:50

Oh god, I am paralysed by indecision.

I think maybe a voucher for a real shop (that exists locally) rather than online because of good points about internet access.

I actually would much rather buy a proper present, and lots of good ideas above, but so hard when you don't know their interests. He might like football, or drawing, or both, or neither.

I'm probably over-thinking this grin

TheOnlyColditz Wed 07-Dec-16 12:57:57

I have a 13 year old boy, and a 13 year old step son - and honestly in this situation, vulnerable often means neglected or escaping domestic violence (therefore having no possessions). So here's what I would do.

Get him [THIS/http://www.sportsdirect.com/adidas-3-stripe-gymsack-703062?colcode=70306203]

And fill it with [THIS/http://www.sportsdirect.com/dunlop-work-sock-5-pack-mens-414010?colcode=41401003]

And [THIS/http://www.tesco.com/groceries/product/details/?id=293612801&sc_cmp=ppc-_-sh-_-msh-_-bg-_-px_%7c_shopping_gsc_%7c_seasonal-_-&gclid=CjwKEAiAg5_CBRDo4o6e4o3NtG0SJAB-IatYY_4cVd4eCaQxcwhcuJqFcLXvwFGHKxk_9OMm6NtBHxoCCpzw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds]

The branded-ness of the bag is the important bit, a teenager can be very upset carrying off-brand things all the time, no matter how silly adults know they are being. I have known a boy that age skip lunch for weeks to save up his lunch money to buy a branded bag.

Socks - cheap shoes are cold shoes and vulnerable teens are not driven everywhere.

Deodorant - a boy whose parent/carer has temporarily dropped the ball might need some encouragment to wash and smell nice, and he will feel better once he does.

That leaves you a few quid for a selection box, which all teenagers love, more so than smaller kids. He will eat it for breakfast on christmas day.

Avebury Thu 08-Dec-16 10:57:06

I did this for a 15 year old boy and went for a cinema voucher, some juggling balls and a selection pack

OSETmum Thu 08-Dec-16 22:12:47

I like the bag idea and/ or a flat peaked cap which is a cheap way of wearing 'designer' stuff.

I definitely wouldn't get a voucher as you don't know if it could be taken off him/ sold for cash. And I wouldn't buy toys as 13 is a bit old and he may have been forced to grow up even quicker.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now