Potted tree

(11 Posts)
anyname123 Fri 25-Nov-16 12:39:01

Hi, I don't know how I've not heard of this before, but a friend said she's getting a potted tree and will plant in the garden, then use again next year. I'm very un-green fingered, is this a thing? Does it work? She's a bit odd so I took her with a pinch of salt grin

ppeatfruit Fri 25-Nov-16 12:59:49

Well it CAN be done (esp. if the tree has been grown from seed in the pot ,the florist said, which of course makes them very expensive) but you need a cool sitting room. I tried once with remembering to water it and put near a cool window, But it didn't work very well. So we just buy a cut one that needs to be watered and I don't stress about keeping it alive like I did with the potted one grin

Ptolemy123 Fri 25-Nov-16 17:38:28

We did this a few years ago with a small tree. It was in our kitchen, so was kept quite cool.

anyname123 Sat 26-Nov-16 10:53:58

Well thanks so much both of you! We've a new baby, so can't really have the place cool, so probably wouldn't work for us. I'd no doubt kill the tree anyway blush

ppeatfruit Sat 26-Nov-16 13:27:09

Yes don't bother anyname You've enough to worry about grin Congrats btw grin

goose1964 Sat 26-Nov-16 19:13:14

We tried once, the tree lasted another 6 months then died during a hot spell

TheFuckitBuckit Mon 28-Nov-16 16:04:30

I bought one a few years ago, couldn't manage to keep the bloody thing alive. Even though it was kept outside by my front door and watered religiously, I still managed to kill it!! hmm
By January it was nothing more than a brown twig, I've got no friggin chance keeping a live tree indoors. grin

I just stick to artificial now!!

bastardlyandmutley Mon 28-Nov-16 17:41:52

We've had two (last year and the year before). Both were fine indoors over Christmas. We kept them in their climate bag thingies and then in a pot and I watered them a few times. They sat in the drafty bay window in front of the radiator so I was a bit concerned about drying out. All was fine though and they barely dropped any needles.

The first tree I replanted in the garden and it died. The second tree I left in it's pot in the garden. It has grown a few one inch stubby branches (apparently they will grow more if you repot in a bigger pot but I am too scared!) and is perfectly well. We plan on using it again this year. Just hope I haven't jinxed it by posting on here!

HungryHorace Mon 28-Nov-16 21:03:13

The tree we've put up today is a potted tree from last year. It's lasted (and grown) well. It helps that our toddlers have loved watering it throughout the year. If we get another year I'll be amazed though!

Sleeperandthespindle Mon 28-Nov-16 21:06:44

We've had one for four years now. Gets a little bigger each Christmas!

HungryHorace Mon 28-Nov-16 21:07:58

That gives me hope, Sleeper!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now