Presents FROM 1 year old!?

(23 Posts)
Packergator Thu 24-Nov-16 11:31:26

Right. I've tried Googling this and all I get is pages and pages of present ideas FOR 1 year olds...

I can't afford to buy Xmas presents for family this year due to a change in my financial circumstances (switching from FT to PT job). They are all totally cool with this, but I hate not being able to get them even a token item, especially as I know that- despite my repeated pleas not to- they are probably all going to get me a present anyway. I thought it would be nice to get each of them a gift from my son (16 months old) who they all absolutely dote on. There are 3 sets of grandparents, 3 aunties, an uncle and a couple of teenager cousins. I can afford approx. £5-10 per head max.

There's tonnes of stuff online- keyrings, coasters, etc.- which are all a bit...tacky to be honest. I know I'm not going to get anything particularly luxurious for a fiver (!) but I prefer to give things which are actually useful or meaningful and won't just sit gathering dust or cluttering up the place...I hate getting gifts like that, so don't want to inflict them on anyone else!

Can anyone think of anything suitable, or has done something similar in the past? Or is it a bit of a pointless endeavour? I was thinking maybe a nice bauble for the tree? I'm not completely opposed to something a little bit handmade either...

Thanks in advance! : )

Tiggles Thu 24-Nov-16 11:52:57

When mine were one I bought some of the little calendars like these and got them to either 'draw' a picture, stick on some stickers, make handprints onto a sheet of card.

ACatastrophicMisintepretation Thu 24-Nov-16 12:00:01

I've taken my one year old to a local pottery place and plopped his hand print onto coasters for grandparents. Wrote a little message on and job done! The coasters I choose were £4 each so affordable, they have loads of different pots, cups, plates etc but it can get quite expensive if you want to do a lot, hence why I went for the cheapie coasters! They're really nice though

Other option is that some of those photobox places have special offers on personalised mugs, I've managed to get two at £3.50 each including postage. I think I'll take one to work with me when I go back so I can look at my sons face whilst having my tea but the other one I'll definitely gift!! Keep an eye on all of them, snap fish is another one

ACatastrophicMisintepretation Thu 24-Nov-16 12:04:12

Vista print have an offer on now:
http://www.vistaprint.co.uk/lpt/mugs-cat-resp-marquee-upload-1.aspx?mk=photo+cups&ad=e&crtv=119214905946&device=m&psloc=9046326&pstid=kwd-314397409&psite=mkwid%7cDY3m4beh&pcat=Photogifts&mkt=UK&lifetv=tierdefault&ivv_=ivv_p11_a420231366_g88611377466_wkwd-3143974099_h90463266_iidd_mvnn_gcc_119214905946kk_photo+cupsmm_elterr_1t1vi&gclid=Cj0KEQiAvNrBBRDe3IOwzLn66_O4BEiQAmbK-DjvtLILdXb7ZR8VnVUVdjqv9W5SSxAcvA8jog5cjx8saAoxI8P8HAQ&couponAutoload=1&GP=11%2f24%2f2016+7%3a02%3a37+AM&GPS=4159474742&GNF=1

petitdonkey Thu 24-Nov-16 12:07:27

I love the Christmas bauble idea. If by any chance you are near london, go to Liberty! Their decorations start at £2.95 but they will happily wrap each one separately and put it in a Liberty bag so it looks really special.

IminaPickle Thu 24-Nov-16 12:07:59

Mugs with his picture on- they're useful as well as sweet and from him!

DirectorofDomesticLogistics Thu 24-Nov-16 12:14:19

I was also going to suggest the pottery idea, I did a mug with foot prints on it for Nanny on DS1's for Xmas, or although you think the keyring/coasters etc are all a bit naff, can you help your DS to make a piece of art that you can scan in and turn into the keyring or coaster, it's more personal then and would be a keepsake.

Or what about getting a load of plain gingerbread men and helping DS to decorate them then wrap them in some nice cellophane and ribbon? Personal, cute, homemade, edible... what's not to like!

ohgoodlordthatsmoist Thu 24-Nov-16 12:16:44

My son now 2.5 buys everyone a pair of socks and a chocolate bar. Usually I have a look at the offers boots have on 3 for 2 and get them there.
I try to get slightly novelty ones so not just plain black.
It's always gone down well.

RainDancer Thu 24-Nov-16 12:17:28

Every year I do a small desk photo calendar for members of the family with pictures of my DD from throughout the year. I think I get it from Vistaprint. Always goes down really well and I keep one for myself and love to see all the reminders of things we did over the year! The more you buy, the cheaper they are.

Packergator Thu 24-Nov-16 12:27:07

Thanks everyone, some cool ideas!

I want to try and avoid 'stuff' with his face on, as adorable as it is. I dunno- I know he's only a baby and has no concept of this- but I always feels it's a bit 'happy Christmas! Here's some STUFF with my FACE on it! Aren't I wonderful?'...I wouldn't dream of getting my parents a mug with my face on although, now I'm thinking about it as the potential for hilarity is high....hmm grin

Might stick with the bauble idea. Or socks. Everyone needs socks! That way I could even get nanny and grandad a pair each, rather than one to share! wink

Packergator Thu 24-Nov-16 12:28:12

Oh, and Liberty! What a lovely idea! I'm about 90 mins drive from London...so it could be do-able...

mrsdiddlydoo Thu 24-Nov-16 12:29:11

Plain fabric bags from ebay, fabric paint, then cut some shapes in potatoes and print some patterns on the bags.

Or just nice photos in photo frames.

Bobsmum02 Thu 24-Nov-16 12:29:15

mamas and papas yesterday had an offer on the kits make a plaster cast imprint of babies hands or feet, they were £5. Don't know if these are still on offer but they might be nice.

Or one year I made wall calendars with vista print using a photograph of DS taken in the corresponding month of the previous year if that makes sense so they could see his growth across the year. I sent one to my Dad and his wife, my mum and Dad (stepdad) and my MIL...they all loved it and kept it after the year was over. I think I got them on a deal (should be a Black Friday offer on) and got them for about £7!

Bobsmum02 Thu 24-Nov-16 12:32:08

Oh just remembered I got an email from m&s this morning, they have a Christmas stocking which you can fill with 4 small 'foodie' gifts out of a selection of 20 for £10. They looked like they'd make a lovely gift. You could always paint your child's hand and press this onto the shocking to make it a bit more sentimental! In fact I might steal my own idea for my grandparents!!

Packergator Thu 24-Nov-16 12:46:25

Bobsmum02- I've seen those in store, what a top idea! They do look lovely. Sounds like a plan. I like the idea of making things with him but think he's just a little bit too little for crafts just yet, maybe next year!

nennyrainbow Thu 24-Nov-16 12:52:32

Surely it's going to be from both of you, no matter how big or small? I would find it a bit odd to get a present from, say, a baby nephew but not from his Mum / my sister. I would just get a small present, like some of the ideas suggested on here, but put it as being from both. They already know you can't afford to spend much so that should be fine.

Bobsmum02 Thu 24-Nov-16 13:15:51

In my experience with craft even very young children will enjoy it, you just have to take the lead, i.e paint their hand rather than expect them to dip it in paint and prepare for mess! It takes longer to tidy up than it does to do the activity as they lose interest quite quickly! I've taken my DS to craft club since a young age though and he thoroughly enjoys it so it is definitely worth a go!

Fueledwithfairydustandgin Thu 24-Nov-16 20:07:16

Aldi have a set of 6 ceramic baubles for 1.99. I'm going to paint them then do his hand print in glitter. Would be a very cheap gift

Packergator Thu 24-Nov-16 21:17:03

My boy has such gigantic hands/feet I think we'd need a dinner plate to fit them on!

Sadly, he takes after me...blush

bigredfireengine Thu 24-Nov-16 21:22:19

Google hedgehog handprints. Brown paint. felt tip. Cheap frame. Done.

stillwantrachelshair Thu 24-Nov-16 21:25:34

Things which we did at that age were
- cheap pot & plant from ikea. Get toddler to decorate (hand prints, random swipes of a paint brush) a bit of paper which you wrap around the pot. If they are doting relatives, they can keep it in the paper; if not, they can ditch it & just have a plant & pot
- decorate an empty jam jar (to make it look like a snowman) & full with sweets.

Fueledwithfairydustandgin Thu 24-Nov-16 23:05:39

Do a thumbprint pattern then. Go on Pinterest for ideas

Cindbelly Thu 24-Nov-16 23:49:48

Hmm, I think I would do vistaprint photo mugs for grandparents, socks and a toblerone for uncle, and maybe cheap DVD, bag of popcorn / slippers + face mask etc for the teenagers.
There's lots of things you can do with a £5 budget you just need to get a bit creative

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now