Christmas jumpers, PJs, bedding etc?

(18 Posts)
PutDownThatLaptop Wed 23-Nov-16 14:30:21

When did this all start? The idea that everyone has a Christmas jumper, Christmas pyjamas, Christmas quilt covers etc? I adore Christmas and to be fair if I am honest I would do all this in a heartbeat if I was very rich but this has all crept up on us and now seems like the norm.

DubiousCredentials Wed 23-Nov-16 14:32:48

When we all began to worship before the great god of STUFF.

PJBanana Wed 23-Nov-16 14:59:30

I agree, I was pondering this the other day.

I think new PJs have always been a standard Christmas present, but there seems to be a trend for buying 'Christmas-themed' PJs for Christmas Eve now too.

I must admit I quite like the Christmas jumper thing, but I understand that some don't and I'd also never spend more than about £20 on one, if that!

As for Christmas bedding this is something I've only seen in the last year or so. Can't say I'm tempted. I think it's nice for kids, but I wouldn't bother in mine and DP's bedroom!

PutDownThatLaptop Wed 23-Nov-16 15:15:16

Please stop me, somebody. I am sat here googling for Christmas tablecloths.

DubiousCredentials Wed 23-Nov-16 15:50:06

Hey I have a Christmas air freshener FOR MY CAR so I judgement from me grin Have a look at Matalan too - Christmas toilet seat cover?

I am getting my Christmas table cloth from The Range FYI

OvO Wed 23-Nov-16 16:23:11

Christmas pyjamas have been around for at least 36 years! fgrin
My mum and dad still buy me them.

The Christmas jumper thing is newish to me too. First I ever saw one was in the Bridget Jones' Diary film! The schools seems to have a Christmas jumper day every year now - this year is the first I've I've bought my DC one, and only because I got them for £2 in Gap during the summer!

Christmas duvets are most excellent and I'll not hear a bad word against them! It's only been a thing, as far as I know, for a few years. I have duvet covers for my DC and I put them on on Dec 1st - it's a lovely way to mark the start of 'christmas'.

I knew people hate this stuff because of cost and materialism and blah blah Scrooge spoilt brats blah blah but you don't have to spent lots and can reuse it every year (not pjs, though mine do get passed down/along).

SnugglySnerd Wed 23-Nov-16 16:25:55

I don't mind the jumpers and we have always had Xmas table cloths, they are like part of the decorations but bed linen seems like an expensive purchase to use for a couple of weeks of the year and would be a pain to store for the rest of the year.

EmzDisco Wed 23-Nov-16 16:28:25

I saw a thread about Christmas bleach yesterday. It's madness I tell you!

Do I need Christmas wallpaper? Rugs? Christmas toothbrush? Christmas loo roll?

OvO Wed 23-Nov-16 16:34:34

I bought duvet covers in the January sales for £5 - used the whole month too so don't feel like it's a waste. Certainly no more than the daft character duvets I've let my DC convince me to buy then promptly stopped liking! fgrin

CozumelFox Wed 23-Nov-16 17:12:09

The jumper thing was a silly joke that's gotten out of hand. Now people wear them unironically. Even fancy brands will sell one or two items with some godawful penguin on it covered in sequins.

I can only assume people with Christmas bedding, table linen and curtains have an astonishing amount of storage space.

GETTINGLIKEMYMOTHER Wed 23-Nov-16 21:03:55

And Christmas curtains, which someone mentioned the other day.

I'd never heard of special Chr. pyjamas or bedding till I read about them on here, or Chr, Eve boxes, either. They do seem excessive, and who on earth has room for extra sets of curtains? (OK, people with bigger houses than mine!).
I suppose there's nowt wrong if people can afford it, but not if people who can't afford all this extra stuff start thinking their kids are deprived if they don't buy into it. Which of course is exactly what the marketing people want - think of something nobody ever imagined needing, and then persuade the (first) world and his wife that it's a must-have.

QuinionsRainbow Wed 23-Nov-16 23:04:58

Never done Christmas PJs, jumpers, etc. but we DO have a Christmas tablecloth, which i value very highy and won't let anyone else wash afterwards.

Goandplay Wed 23-Nov-16 23:10:36

Curtains?! 😂

FannyWisdom Wed 23-Nov-16 23:11:57

I'm a little bit pleased.

I used to love the winter blankets, brushed cotton sheets and cuddly heavy blankets.

Now they are fashionable and twee Asda are selling lovely ones quite cheap..
Duvet covers and pillowcase covers all have a little pattern but it's worth it for the warmth.

I just need donkey jackets to become fashionable now..

I've always done Christmas themed pyjamas for ds on Christmas Eve and he's nearly 18! I remember his first pair were The Snowman ones from Mothercare. So cute smile Had cute penguin ones from there too.

Christmas jumpers are fun.

Can't believe someone just mentioned Christmas tableware. I've been doing that for nearly 18 years too, although not silly tacky stuff. Always gold or red, with table runner, subtle snowflake or star design.

Always done Christmas plates too. House of Fraser accidentally started me on that one!

Bedding. I'm not sure what I make of it but the child in me is half tempted to get myself Rudolph or Santagrin

Christmas curtains?!?! Now that is bonkers. Do they mean actual Christmas curtains though? Or just changing the curtains so they don't look daft with the tree or is it just me considering this ?

Ceaser1981 Thu 24-Nov-16 15:06:43

Ha i was looking for shower curtain hooks and came across these christmas themed shower curtins! Omg

www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Christmas-Shower-Curtain-Bathroom-Sleigh-Tub-Santa-Polyester-Waterproof180x180cm-/262708918525

noramum Thu 24-Nov-16 16:10:10

I bought the third Christmas jumper for DD recently, I hate doing it but the school asks them to wear them for the Christmas play and the last day of school. I get a not too silly one and DD also wears it for Santa visit and the week between Christmas and New Year.

The rest - no thanks apart from the Christmas tablecloth.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now