A good family board game for christmas day - age range 7 to 70s!

(12 Posts)
keeponkeepinon Wed 23-Nov-16 07:40:07

Can you recommend anything?
I'm wondering about games like family trivial pursuits, articulate (kids version or adult?), pictionary (again, kids version or just go for the full version)? Something that will keep everyone happy, challenge the adults a bit without being too tough for the little ones?

SprogletsMum Wed 23-Nov-16 07:44:15

I've gone for buying separate games here.
I've got pie face and greedy granny for everyone to play, and cluedo and monopoly for the older ones.
My ds is 8 and loves cluedo, he never wins but loves the detective part of it.

DoItTooJulia Wed 23-Nov-16 07:47:19

Boku or rummikub. Brilliant for all ages. Rummikub comes in letters or numbers.

Feelingkenty Wed 23-Nov-16 07:48:47

Rummikub (we have the number version), or Pictionary. Jenga may also be good

doghairinmytea Wed 23-Nov-16 07:48:55

Cranium- you can team kids up with adults
I love articulate and would probably go for the adult version
Trivial pursuit can be quite "current" so if you're playing with kids make sure it's an updated version.
I love family games but DH refuses to play with me because I'm too competitive blush

Whatthefreakinwhatnow Wed 23-Nov-16 07:50:51

family edition trivial pursuit is perfect for this IME, we play it with a group from 6-65!

JennyWreny Wed 23-Nov-16 09:12:26

Ticket to Ride - great game, we've had it for 2 years now and probably play it about once a week - different versions, the original USA one is easier and therefore probably better if you have a 7 year old, but the Europe one has extra bits which make it a bit different - 2 - 5 players.
Rummikub - brilliant game if you like things like sudoku and card games you'll probably love it - 2 - 4 players though I think.
Carcassone - again this is a good strategy game, but more complicated than Ticket to Ride, it might be too tricky for a 7 year old, but perhaps one to look at for the future. 2 - 5 players

JennyWreny Wed 23-Nov-16 09:15:13

Actually, on reflection I think Ticket to Ride and Carcassone are probably too difficult for a 7 year old . . . . . . but definitely look out for them in a couple of years smile

ShowMeTheElf Wed 23-Nov-16 09:17:34

Uno. It's cards rather than a a board game se but excellent for all ages.
5 Second Rule: very simple and works for all ages too (a few questions will be too hard for 7 yo but most not.

irregularegular Wed 23-Nov-16 09:22:37

We had a lot of fun with rapidough last year. It's Pictionary with play dough , which seemed to make it a bit sillier/funnier. The words are probably simpler too. The youngest was 5 and was able to join in.

fluffiphlox Wed 23-Nov-16 09:29:54

Mentioned this before on here: Qwirkle. (And I say that as someone who dislikes board games).

BiddyPop Wed 23-Nov-16 09:54:11

QBitz. The box has 4 boards, and I know there is at least 1 "solo" board in a different colour available (possibly more) to extend it to 5 players. Each board has a matching set of 16 cubes, with different patterns on each side. You turn over a card, and make the pattern shown on the card with your board. Fastest to do it wins. Second time, you have a minute to do it, so the closest to finished wins. Third time, look at the card for 10 seconds, then make the pattern from memory, and closest to actual pattern wins. Start cycle again.

We've loved trivial pursuit over the years.

DD got one called, I think, "Don't break the egg" - a plastic egg has a variable timer which ticks away and then the egg cracks. You answer a question on the card, if you get it right, pass the egg to the next person, otherwise have to answer another question - person holding the egg when it cracks is given all the cards from that round, and the person with the highest number of cards when all are used up is the loser.

we also have the usual - Monopoly, Game of Life, Operation (very funny for older folks after a few drinks if the buzzer doesn't annoy their ears), Cluedo, scrabble, chess, draughts, cards (multiple packs), mastermind...a few of those often end up getting pulled out as well.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now