ideas for Christmas presents from dc to gp

(21 Posts)
mailfuckoff Tue 22-Nov-16 14:02:32

I buy presents for my dc to give to my parents each Christmas. A small token as a sign of love. This year I don't know what to get - price wise up to 20 for something for both or 10 each. we've done calanders and photos and things before and I can't think of any original ideas. Any ideas?

averylongtimeago Tue 22-Nov-16 14:14:08

I have several very naice mugs with photos of the dgc on.
You don't say how old the DC are, but why not have a shopping trip with them and get then to choose...You might have to vet their choice though.....
Or perhaps they could plant some bulbs in a nice pot? They could help choose the flowers and do the planting, a bit different than the usual "whatever with a photo"

snowgirl1 Tue 22-Nov-16 14:19:26

Your children's drawings put onto a mug like this or you could take your children to one of those pottery painting places and they could paint a mug or plate or whatever (or if too young to paint, a handprint?)

mailfuckoff Tue 22-Nov-16 14:22:48

Dc are 7. Their idea is chocolate which would be appreciated but not very inspired. I like the plant idea but don't really know what could do this time of year?

attheendoftheday Tue 22-Nov-16 14:31:02

Children decorate a pot and plant something in it to come up?

Decorate a shopping bag or a tea towel?

Kids make peppermint creams or similar?

BobGoblin23 Tue 22-Nov-16 14:47:22

I've just bought a chocolate making kit, with I Love You mould. I think it's quite nice and if it's too fiddly I might give it to Grandma to make with DS. That way she gets the experience of making it as well!! Then at least she'll know if there are any bogeys in it.

averylongtimeago Tue 22-Nov-16 14:47:46

Should have put bulbs, not a plant- lots of bulbs around and now is the right time to plant them.

insan1tyscartching Tue 22-Nov-16 14:56:16

White teatowels and fabric pens and let them design them themselves. If you pin them taut to a chopping board you will get a better finish.

mrsmortis Tue 22-Nov-16 14:59:28

I've bought some linen shopping bags and fabric pens. The DDs are going to draw 'pictures' on them for the GPs.

Citizenerased123 Tue 22-Nov-16 15:23:45

I would definitely need to choose for my dc. I asked my 4 year old DS what we should get for grandma for christmas and he said "handcuffs" fgrin.

Fueledwithfairydustandgin Tue 22-Nov-16 15:26:11

Last year I got MIl an amaryllis in a plant pot which I let DS decorate with sharpies. She loved it. Or go to one of those paint a pot places and let them loose

Makemineacabsauv Tue 22-Nov-16 18:48:03

Fir amusing presents let them loose in £1 land with a list of people to buy for - and don't peek in their baskets!! W did this for years when my dc were young and it led to many hilarious presents!! GGM just loved her black satin-esque pillow on which nestled done very lurid pink nail varnish!! Dd instantly piped up that if GGM didn't like it she didn't mind looking after it! Kids loved doing the shopping and wrapping up themselves and the whole surprise element.

mummymilkfloat Tue 22-Nov-16 18:55:12

In m&s last week they had biscuit tins filled with gingerbread I think which you can record a message on, we've got our little girl to say "ho ho ho merry Christmas grandma" on there! They were on offer for £5 which was half price so they might be back up to £10.
Think they will go down well!

clumsyduck Tue 22-Nov-16 18:58:39

How about one of them calendars you make online ? A photo each month of the dc and include some of them with the gp on too ?

clumsyduck Tue 22-Nov-16 18:59:14

I didn't read the last two lines of your op clearly grin sorry blush

mamalovebird Tue 22-Nov-16 21:20:44

I got these last year from the kids to their grandparents - nice idea for them to tell their stories for the kids to keep and read when they are older.

www.notonthehighstreet.com/fromyoutome/product/dear-grandad-from-you-to-me

mailfuckoff Wed 23-Nov-16 19:45:08

My parents are in their fifties so I'm thinking may be not the books? They are not traditional grandparents so it's hard sometimes!

Reallywhataday Wed 23-Nov-16 20:14:28

What about nice homemade/personalised key rings? This year my DC have got Grampa a "this Grampa belongs to ..." keyring and grans says " this Gran belongs to..." both from Etsy.

Warl Wed 23-Nov-16 20:54:59

DD has made grandad a pen pot, lolly sticks stuck to a tin can & adorned with glitter, paint & sequins and nanny some bird feeder things (bird seed & gelatine then set in a shaped cookie cutter)
Can you tell I'm a sucker for Pinterest grin
Found that when it comes to grandparents they love anything she's made no matter how shite it is!!

verytiredmummy1 Wed 23-Nov-16 21:22:43

How about buying a slab of chocolate and having DC decorate it? Or get them to make truffles?

mailfuckoff Sat 26-Nov-16 04:55:44

Thank you for the m and s idea, my mum has a musical biscuit tin. For my dad I'm going to let them loose in a reasonably priced shop and see what they come up with

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now