How big??

(9 Posts)
ladymariner Tue 22-Nov-16 10:33:02

Hi everyone, another first time Christmas dinner cook here.....

There will be five of us, possibly six, on Christmas Day. I'm thinking a turkey butterfly, and I want enough to feed all of us with plenty left over to go with the bubble and squeak on Boxing Day. How big a joint would you suggest....I'm thinking ten pounds in weight but don't know if that's a bit excessive? Would rather have too much than too little....

ladymariner Tue 22-Nov-16 16:03:42

Anyone???

UniversalTruth Tue 22-Nov-16 16:54:45

I'm not sure what you mean "turkey butterfly" - would you get a butcher to do this? I imagine it would be huge! You could ask the butcher what size turkey they recommend. Or if you go online to any major supermarket they have their pre-order turkeys with suggested people they serve.

recklessgran Tue 22-Nov-16 16:56:29

Do you mean a turkey crown ladymariner? If so, you might find 10 pounds in weight a bit much. I think that would feed at least 20 people generously if you allow 6-8 ozs of meat each? That is a lot of sliced meat! Most turkey crowns give you an idea of how many it serves at point of sale assuming you're buying from M&S or a supermarket. If you're using a butcher they should be able to guide you if you explain what you're after. [I think the old way when buying a whole turkey was to allow a pound per person.]

ladymariner Tue 22-Nov-16 21:27:36

Thanks both of you, I think I may downsize as it were, you can have too much of a good thing!! I would hate to run out but I don't want to be still eating turkey at New Year grin
A turkey crown still has the backbone in it, a turkey butterfly has no bone in it at all.

justdontevenfuckingstart Tue 22-Nov-16 21:30:50

I would do a turkey crown, a chicken and a small gammon joint. Plenty for the day and lots to freeze after.

leccybill Tue 22-Nov-16 21:32:17

There's 5 of us and I'm doing a turkey crown and a gammon joint. Should be plenty.

UniversalTruth Tue 22-Nov-16 22:29:07

Ah ok, like a boned rolled turkey joint. No reason that wouldn't work but I'd be worried there wouldn't be enough leftovers - I love leftovers! Like pp I'm doing a 1.8kg turkey crown plus a 2kg glazed ham (ham cooked the day before) for 6 adults and a few little children. Hth

ladymariner Tue 22-Nov-16 22:53:33

Yeah, the leftovers is what I'm looking forward to.....bubble and squeak, loads of pickles and chutney, stuffing and the meat.....yum!!! Would hate not to have enough, not that I think there'll be much chance of that!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now