What's the difference between a stunt scooter and a regular scooter ?

(44 Posts)
notgivingin789 Sat 19-Nov-16 11:44:02

Hey,

So DS, nearly 7, has outgrown his Maxi Micro Scooter. So was thinking of getting him a two-wheeler scooter. I know he would be good with a two- wheeler as he has driven on his friend's one many times. Though, I have recently come across stunt-scooters, which looks like something DS would like having.

What's the difference between a stunt scooter and a regular two- wheeler ?

Bobsmum02 Sat 19-Nov-16 11:49:09

My DD(10) reliably informs me that a stunt scooter is less rigid than a standard 2 wheeler so it can be used for "360 spins" and "mc twist". She's explained this to me by saying "a standard scooter stays straight but on a stunt scooter the bit you stand on spins so you can do a turn without letting go of the handles"!

Hope this makes sense lol!

notgivingin789 Sat 19-Nov-16 11:57:57

Really Bobs DS would love that. But ideally, I would want a scooter for DS to regular use for our day to day walking. Would a stunt scooter be the one ?

OhFuckOff Sat 19-Nov-16 12:30:49

When my children had stunt scooters tiny stones would get caught as the wheels went round stopping them and chucking the child off! Ds (9) dd (6) both have the hudora big wheeled scooters now smile

Bobsmum02 Sat 19-Nov-16 15:54:54

I'm not sure, I have seen DD use hers for standard scooting but not for long, i.e going for a family walk etc. She has a different scooter for that, a micro scooter, think it is an adult version but it's height adjustable so it's fine. Maybe this could be an option for you? Her stunt scooter wasn't very expensive so we don't mind her not using it as much, she is now after a skate ramp for it!!

FATEdestiny Sat 19-Nov-16 16:12:11

Slamm scooters are good entry-level scooters. About £80, I'm not sure what your budget is?

My son is a "skater boy", except they all use stunt scooters round here. You can use a stunt scooter for regular scootering, but try come into their own on a skate park. We have an amazing public skate park near us, hence skate/scootering being such a big deal. If you don't have a skate park locally then you probably won't get the true value out if your stint scooter?

What's the difference between a stunt scooter and a "normal" scooter - that's like asking what's the difference between Bradley Wiggins bike and my bike. Essentially they are the same thing - just better quality.

The deck (bit but you stand on) are lighter, t-bar (handles) smoother. And wheels - well you can pay £50 for a single wheel or £5. It's down to quality. Likewise the quality of the bearings.

Those that take their scooting seriously often buy just parts - a new deck and t-bar has just cost me £180. So really you are getting into a level not very appropriate for a beginner.

Have a look at Skate Hut complete scooters (they also sell parts). You might as well get a stunt scooter than a normal one imo, simply because they are better and built for hard-use, rather than being built mainly to look pretty.

OSETmum Sat 19-Nov-16 16:31:22

Stunt scooters swing round and hit you on the ankle when you try to carry them 😡!

notgivingin789 Sat 19-Nov-16 17:11:07

Thanks fate grin but I'm even more conflicted now. I wonder if it's worth getting both ? We do have a local skate park but Im not sure if DS is comfortable pulling tricks !

WeAllHaveWings Sat 19-Nov-16 17:22:28

a stunt scooter is just a sturdier/usually heavier version of a normal kick scooter. It cant be folded or the handle height adjusted.

If he is showing no interest in stunts, at 7 I'd get him a normal kick scooter and save the stunt scooter for a present when he is 9-10.

UnmentionedElephantDildo Sat 19-Nov-16 17:26:21

I would say the difference is at least £50 and only matters if the DC is keen on doing the moves.

Bobsmum02 Sat 19-Nov-16 17:58:00

To be honest I think 7 might be a bit young for stunts. If your DS likes to use his scooter for everyday use I'd stick to this type for now and maybe get the stunt scooter in a year or two!

notgivingin789 Sat 19-Nov-16 18:24:49

The only "tricks" DS does with his normal scooter is he will just do jumps and he mucks around with it. Though I tell him him to stop as he can hurt himself.

His Maxi micro goes up to the age of 12.... But it's worn and broken now and he needs a new scooter.

FATEdestiny Sat 19-Nov-16 18:49:39

My son was 7 when he had his first stunt scooter.

There are a pair of 6 year old twins who frequent our skate park and are very nifty on their scooters. So is their annoyingly cool mum, I might add.

Early 'stunts' might be as simple as being able to jump down curbs or bunny hop (straight up and down jump). Stunt pegs are quite cheap (£10- £20), it's quite cool to give a friend a lift.

Thing is with normal scooters is the deck can snap when you are jumping around. I don't see the point in buying two different scooters. The only benefit of a non-stunt scooter I can think of is that they fold up and stunt scooters are solid so don't. Oh, and cost. You can get a normal scooter for £30- £50 or £60- £80 for an entry level stunt scooter.

notgivingin789 Sat 19-Nov-16 19:05:23

Thanks fate DS maxi scooter doesn't fold down and ideally I wanted to get a foldable scooter. Do you see kids using their stunt scooters everyday for daily use?

notgivingin789 Sat 19-Nov-16 19:08:12

Damn! Why are Micros stunt scooters so expensive !!!

notgivingin789 Sat 19-Nov-16 19:12:36

Fate I've never taken DS to a skate park before because I have no interest in them though I think DS will like it and he can do all the nonsense on his scooter as he wishes grin. What are your beginners tips for kids for their first time going to a skate park ?

Ideally, if I was to get a stunt scooter, it would be from the micro brand as their scooters last ! Though the cost ! shock

eyebrowsonfleek Sat 19-Nov-16 19:46:09

Stunt scooters won't fold because when you jump, you don't want them to snap at the join. Ds had a triple clamp to strengthen that bit make it look cool
Stunt scooters are a pain to carry as they are designed to spin easily.
Stunt scooters look cooler as they are used by pros and have the price tag to match. 7 is not too young for one. The boy across is in y1 and spinning and bunny hopping around our cul de sac like a pro. The primary school kids round here scoot to school on stunt scooters rather than regular ones once they outgrow their Mini Micro.

CharliePurple Sat 19-Nov-16 19:47:57

£50 and a bonus visit to A&E are the main differences....

eyebrowsonfleek Sat 19-Nov-16 19:49:13

If you get a stunt scooter get it from a skate site or skate shop. They will be able to advise you based on budget. (think we spent £100 on ds' MGP a few years ago and extra on accessories. gulp!)

FATEdestiny Sat 19-Nov-16 19:50:29

Do you see kids using their stunt scooters everyday for daily use?

All the time. I am in the zone of being a "scooter mum" though, so all DS11s friends are similar. My experience may not be typical. About 50 or so kids go to primary school on them. School has a place to lock up bikes, but the children lock up their scooters there instead.

(The skate park is next to school so children take scooters to school so they can go straight to the park after school)

* What are your beginners tips for kids for their first time going to a skate park ?*

Don't be intimidated. There will be show-offs. Watch a lot and get chatting. Scootering/skating is quite a culture and the kids often learn from each other, the more experienced enjoy teaching the beginners.

My only other tip is about toughening up. He'll fall often so safety gear and/or accepting this is just part of learning. Don't let falls put him off.

GeorgeTheThird Sat 19-Nov-16 19:50:32

You put the stunt scooter in the fruit bowl, next to the pineapple 😄

ineedamoreadultieradult Sat 19-Nov-16 19:52:08

All the kids around here use stunt scooters just for normal scootering. My DS6 tells me he is the only one left with a 'baby' scooter (a foldable one).

FATEdestiny Sat 19-Nov-16 19:53:22

... and go quarter to quarter, clearing The Spine

(I have no idea what this means, but ds assures me it's very important and very cool).

christinarossetti Sat 19-Nov-16 19:53:35

My 7 year old ds is getting a stunt scooter for Christmas. He has had a Micro Sprite (foldable) for a few years which doesn't really cut the mustard at the skate park, as it doesn't spin and isn't great for bunny hopping on.

It's partly because I'm worried that he's going to damage his ordinary scooter or hurt himself by trying to jump on it, and partly because he's no uninterested in football/rugby that I really that I want to encourage some type of outdoor hobby.

I bought a Slamm one in a Skatehut sale a month or so ago.

notgivingin789 Sat 19-Nov-16 20:14:59

christnia Is your DS nearing 8? I was thinking of getting DS the Micro Sprite, especially as his going from a three-wheeler to a two-wheeler, what did you think of it ?

fate DS has severe language and communication difficulties, so I guess apart of me seems to shelter him. DS is very sporty and I know he would like going to places like a skater park (typically as he does jazz moves on his scooter) but I'm worried about how other's would perceive him ? Then apart of me is thinking..why should I care ?

I meant, do you see children using their stunt scooters for going on the school run? As DS school is a far walking distance and I would like to be able to use his scooter for this.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now