Jumperoo or a walker ?

(16 Posts)
Ilikegin Thu 17-Nov-16 11:13:12

Just looking for a Christmas present for my baby who will be five months at Xmas and can't decide what would be better: a Jumperoo or a walker chair thingy with wheels , I'm put off by the Jumperoo as not too keen on bright coloured / in your face plasticky baby stuff but am trying to get over this as understand it's good for development! blush
If it makes a difference the walker would have to be used on a Berber type carpet so not sure if it would be easy to wheel about?

What's better for little ones, being able to wheel about or to be able to bounce up and down?

IEatCannibals Thu 17-Nov-16 11:26:20

Well neither are great to be honest and baby walkers especially are thought to delay development. Babies are better off having floor time and learning to crawl at that age.

Avebury Thu 17-Nov-16 11:28:49

Jumperoo - or we had a static thing from Graco that swivelled and there were lots of toys round the edge for them to play with. I think it was called a Graco Entertainer

EmzDisco Thu 17-Nov-16 11:33:15

I think walkers are supposed to be worse for development unless it's the push along type rather than the sit inside type. Jumperoo was a hit here, and indeed it does look and sound like a migraine but babies have no taste! DD started waking independently at 10 months so it didn't seem to hold her back, although she was never in it for long at a time. Good if you need to contain them briefly!

justinelibertine Thu 17-Nov-16 11:33:50

If you do get a jumperoo or walker try picking it up second hand, my DD only used hers about 10 mins a day for 4 months.

winewolfhowls Thu 17-Nov-16 11:55:39

Jumperoo. Webought ours second hand and sold it for the same later. You can get compact jumperoos now that can fold flat away and are not as huge.

Artandco Thu 17-Nov-16 11:59:29

I wouldn't get either TBH. Both aren't good for babies hip or legs to be standing and weigh bearing before they are actually ready.

For a 5 month old I wouldn't buy much TBH
Then in the summer when they are more like 10-12 months buy a little wooden pram to use as a walker to balance walking and then you pram in general. Lasts much longer

Artandco Thu 17-Nov-16 12:01:35

Like this
www.thewhitecompany.com/Wooden-Toy-Pram/p/PRUWT?cm_mmc=GProductFeed-_-UK_PLA_GEN_LWC-_-Toys_Books-_-PRUWTNWH&ProGrpCode=AN593&gclid=Cj0KEQiAx7XBBRCdyNOw6PLHrYABEiQAJtyEQ69QR_1C00q2GYiZ_FLqnsGoy6HD8PTmK49w0sZStrsaAjsj8P8HAQ

catsofa Thu 17-Nov-16 12:06:58

Walkers aren't recommended any more because of safety concerns - too many tipping over accidents, plus they make it easier for a baby to reach things they shouldn't. My son enjoyed his Jumperoo, but not for very long. As others have said get a second hand one if you get one.

Ilikegin Thu 17-Nov-16 12:17:24

Oh thank you for the replies! I didn't realise they weren't that good for them! confused

Will scrap the idea for now and have another think!

I love that Artandco !

winewolfhowls Thu 17-Nov-16 13:17:45

The one good thing they are for is a safe place to entertain them when you are cooking and a crawling baby would be dangerous, but that wouldn't matter if you had room for a play pen?

Blankiefan Thu 17-Nov-16 21:34:54

Jumperoos last for such a short period that I don't think they're bad. DD loved hers. It's just about a bit of sensible balance - you wouldn't want them in there for hours!

Walkers are a big no-no as everyone has said (we had one from a friend but ended up taking it to the tip)

jellyspoons Thu 17-Nov-16 22:05:40

Jumperoo for sure!
My daughter loved it from 3 months old to 12 months old and still loved it when older too. It's one of the only places you can put them which is safe once they're walking.

Jumperoos are safe, it's walkers that are dangerous ( banned in some countries like Australia I think). In a walker babies can zoom around and end up going down stairs or bumping into a surface and knocking a hot cup of tea on themselves and burning themselves. Jumperoos are static so no problems there.

Only downside of junperoo is amount of space it takes up (and annoying music) - believe me you'll get used to the garish plastic soon enough once realise you can put them there and go do cooking etc and they're safe (esp once at crawling stage)

Ilikegin Fri 18-Nov-16 15:55:09

Thank you, they seem quite popular!
I was wondering is a door bouncer the same as a Jumperoo except for having toys? Sorry if that's a daft question! I'm inept when it comes to babies! blush

Afreshstartplease Fri 18-Nov-16 15:58:05

One of my DC used to swing/bounce into the door frame in the door bouncer .... I'm sure it was intentional too

Chocolateunicorn Fri 18-Nov-16 16:38:29

jumperoo definitely, best invention ever grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now