Christmas Charities

(12 Posts)
LazySusan11 Thu 17-Nov-16 10:45:49

Can anyone tell me of a charity that isn't questionable and everything goes to those in need that I can organise presents or something with my dsd?

Looked at the shoe boxes but I'm pretty sure some charities came into question. I'll also look locally to me. Thank you

feetheart Thu 17-Nov-16 10:50:32

We have a Project Shoebox locally where you make up shoeboxes for local women's refuges. It is a national project but each local area is run separately I think.
May also be worth looking at similar local projects for homeless people and our food bank is doing an Advent Calendar so you make up a food box by Christmas Eve.
I can help if you are in S Beds smile

Eggsbutnobacon Thu 17-Nov-16 10:54:21

Regarding questionable charities I would advise you to keep away from the Samaritans Purse Operation Christmas Child.
There have been many threads on this ( don't know how to link) and most schools, organisations etc have withdrawn their support once they realise the agenda behind this massive evangelical " charity".

LazySusan11 Thu 17-Nov-16 10:55:51

Thank you! Feetheart not in S Beds but will look for something similar near me

Eggsbutnobacon Thu 17-Nov-16 10:56:25

Meant to add that our local school support the local Rotary shoebox scheme after having withdrawn their support from Occ. ( Operation Christmas Child).

ohblank Thu 17-Nov-16 10:56:28

Hello, I'd like to second Project Shoebox. There isn't one in all areas but you should be able to find out if there is one local to you through Facebook. I know of them in Thames Valley, Cardiff, Oxford and I am helping to organise a Hereford collection.

FeelingSmurfy Thu 17-Nov-16 10:59:32

How about filling rucksacks with warm gloves/hat/scarf/shoes plus toiletries, cereal bars etc and handing out to homeless people

It's hard to find out where women's refuges are but maybe ask health professionals or police and offer to give them a box of stuff and they can drop it off? Things like toiletries, warm clothes, books, toys

LazySusan11 Thu 17-Nov-16 10:59:47

Thanks Eggs, I'll ask at Dsd school, I can't find project shoebox in the south west but there must be one!

Tiggles Thu 17-Nov-16 11:40:28

Foodbanks - especially 'non food' items like toiletries.
Local children's hospital/ward - toys
Night shelter - cereals & biscuits
Met police - presents for children of particular ages

madamginger Thu 17-Nov-16 12:21:57

www.lendwithcare.org
We donate to this charity, it's a microloan charity where you give small loans directly to people who need them and they pay you back.

LazySusan11 Thu 17-Nov-16 13:15:55

Any animal charities to add to the list? My local one at present says they have no need for anything.

Tiggles Thu 17-Nov-16 13:52:05

Our local animal rescue has an amazon wish list - search for North Clwyd Animal Rescue and it should come up.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now