Gotz, American Girl, Our Generation doll???

(21 Posts)
Nearlyadoctor Tue 15-Nov-16 18:44:55

Dd who have never been remotely interested in dolls has asked for an Our Generation doll for Christmas after seeing them at Hamleys in the summer.

We have a couple of friends who's dd's have AG dolls ( truly me), and someone else has recommended the Gotz Hannah doll.

Our Generation doll's are obviously the cheapest ( usually our family always seem to pick the most expensive!) I remember having a Gotz doll which was very good quality, so just wondering if anyone has any views / recommendations?
I would like to buy her a really nice doll and can't see much difference between AG and Our generation ( except the price obviously) .

She is 9.5 and looks after her things so not a toddler likely to throw a doll about.

AyeAye Tue 15-Nov-16 19:22:01

One of these!

agirlforalltime.co.uk/

(hint - the Tudor doll is on ebay for £29.99 delivered BNIB. I got mine DD's there and she's stunning.

Strawberryshortcake40 Tue 15-Nov-16 19:25:10

There is a massive difference between an OG doll and AG one. I always presumed there wouldn't really be and they were a ridiculous amount of money but on a trip to NY this year my 9 year old bought an AG doll and its in a different realm entirely to the OG dolls she already had. It's truly lovely.

AyeAye Tue 15-Nov-16 19:26:50

And you can get fantastic books to accompany them, the artwork is stunning

agirlforalltime.co.uk/collections/our-book-collection

My DD is 9.5 also, And getting the Tudor doll, a couple of costumes , and the books.

winterisnigh Tue 15-Nov-16 20:20:27

I would have LOVED THIS as a child I was obsessed with Elizabeth I ! that doll is amazing value on ebay, my dd is 9 also but has never been into dolls. But I wonder!........

GreenGinger2 Tue 15-Nov-16 20:24:21

We have 2 Gotz and Girl For All Time Amelia. They suit different needs. GFAT don't fit a lot of the clothes for those size dolls and the hair doesn't take much abuse. They are v good from an educational point of view.Our Amelia looks like Miss Haversham now. I find AG dolls all look like chipmunks and the bodies are too clunky. They are soft so can't be bathed. I think Gotz dolls look a tad more stylish/ European. They take a lot of abuse.Ours are as good as new. Look on Petalina,there are loads. We have some OG furniture which is reasonable in price.

Nearlyadoctor Tue 15-Nov-16 20:41:05

Thanks for all the replies so far, Dd doesn't like GFAT as she thinks they're 'creepy'. I also think she does want to be able to play with the doll and they look quite ornamental.
Just off to browse Petalina..

GreenGinger2 Tue 15-Nov-16 20:48:56

We have doll on far right( Clara) and dog walking Hannah.There are loads of new brands now. Look at the clothes your dd likes and check they'd fit the doll you choose.

winterisnigh Tue 15-Nov-16 20:51:12

I love all these dolls, I remember dreuling over them in that big shop in NY - F W SWARCH? Neither girl is into them, I have tried

GreenGinger2 Tue 15-Nov-16 20:52:02

There are other websites selling cheaper clothes which fit Gotz Hannah.

GreenGinger2 Tue 15-Nov-16 20:53:30

My dad is nearly 12 and still plays with her dolls. Can't justify buying her anything more though.sad

UnicornMadeOfPinkGlitter Tue 15-Nov-16 20:59:30

My daughter is 10 1/2 and still plays with her dolls. Her favourites are the American girl dolls but she is just as happy with the our generation girl dolls.
Also the our generation are much more accessible. There are some U.K. Re selling sites for american girl but they are very expensive. You can ring the ag customer services and they will ship here. $60 starting price for shipping plus you will be stung by customs as well.

American girl and our generation are compatible so my daughter mixes and matches the clothes and accessories including furniture.

If it's an our generation girl she saw that she likes inwould go with those. There are so many to choose from. Smyths toy store has the best and the lowest price stock.

Nearlyadoctor Tue 15-Nov-16 21:44:24

A number of reviews have mentioned the OG dolls hair goes frizzy and tangles very easily - those who have them have you found this?

UnicornMadeOfPinkGlitter Wed 16-Nov-16 08:28:35

If you use a normal brush any of the brands hair will go frizzy. You need a metal tooth brush or a wide tooth comb.

I'd say the American girl hair is less able to cope with a real brush than the our generation

Nearlyadoctor Wed 16-Nov-16 10:27:49

Thank you all - I'm going to order an OG doll and an extra outfit. I really like the Gotz dolls but she's definitely sold on OG. Obviously can always buy another doll at a later date if she decided she wanted one.
Interesting about the hair with AG as I was expecting it to probably be far superior.

UnicornMadeOfPinkGlitter Wed 16-Nov-16 10:51:16

Smyths had some reductions on outfits. Might be worth a look as they are much more expensive in hamleys and our generation world.

MissDallas Wed 16-Nov-16 10:59:15

We have Gotz which we buy from here:

www.petalinadolls.co.uk/

Great customer service and range of products. And they ship overseas.

UnicornMadeOfPinkGlitter Wed 16-Nov-16 11:00:00

I think it's because the ag hair is much finer. It's softer. So yes it's probably much better quality than the og dolls hair but this makes it much easier to tangle etc.

There are online guides on what to do to fix hair problems. eBay sell dolls hair brushes but it's a case of not brushing them too much which ever doll you get.

m.ebay.co.uk/itm/American-Girl-Hairbrush-for-Doll-/142178665157?hash=item211a8242c5%3Ag%3A6yQAAOSwoydWn%7EQ%7E&_trkparms=pageci%253Ac6b95e93-abeb-11e6-8964-74dbd180f8a1%257Cparentrq%253A6ccad5981580a2a235eaa5b4fff85de0%257Ciid%253A3

Nearlyadoctor Thu 17-Nov-16 16:59:35

So ordered Holiday Hope OG doll plus outfits from Smyths yesterday and it just arrived - I only used their standard free delivery.

The doll is absolutely beautiful - all my worrying about OG dolls being a bit cheap was in vain! Dd will be delighted.
The outfits all look great too although glad I got them at reduced prices otherwise I think they are quite expensive.

GreenGinger2 Thu 17-Nov-16 17:21:02

We have the OG red kitchen and the quality is superb.

UnicornMadeOfPinkGlitter Thu 17-Nov-16 17:51:51

The ice cream truck is fab as well.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now