Books for nearly 5yr old

(8 Posts)
monkeymamma Sun 13-Nov-16 23:34:25

He is tending towards preferring chapter books read to him at night rather than picture books. Just started reception and learning to read but it's more bedtime stories I'm looking for. In particular the kind where each chapter is a self contained story you don't need to read them in order iyswim.

He likes My Naughty Little Sister, the Emil stories, Polly and the Wolf and Claude series. Can anyone recommend something like this that a boy would like?

He's not into Horrid Henry and as of yet not really into major excitement/peril, is easily scared/worried and not yet into toilet humour. All suggestions very much appreciated...

Wayfarersonbaby Mon 14-Nov-16 00:36:19

Mrs Pepperpot
Olga da Polga (stories about a guinea pig!)

Both the above have female protagonists, but they aren't "girly" stories at all. If he likes My Naughty Little Sister then that should be fine.

Paddington Bear?

Wayfarersonbaby Mon 14-Nov-16 00:39:59

Oh and if he already likes Astrid Lindgren's Emil books, try the Lotta stories? I think both Lindgren and Bond (Paddington and Olga) are really great at stories for this age group.

I am greatly in favour of boys being read stories with female protagonists - girls are always read loads of stories with male protagonists and expected to identify with them, so it's good that it should also be the other way around too! smile

Lucked Mon 14-Nov-16 00:46:29

We have just started our first chapter book, its ambitious at 350 odd pages, but he is coping with it well. Plan to have it read by Christmas

The Christmasaurus

monkeymamma Mon 14-Nov-16 09:54:33

Thanks so much, both!

Wayfarer, I agree that boys should read books with female protagonists and vice versa. But I am worried how few books there are of this kind for boys. Statistically we spend £8 pm on books for girls and just £6 pm on boys which makes me sad. He is a boy and while he has no problems reading books featuring girls surely at some point he'll think hang on, why don't I have any books about boys? Are books just for girls? At this stage they are experiencing a massive testosterone surge and I think it's natural for them to have some ideas about identity and want to see some characters in books that reflect them...

CoffeeChocolateWine Mon 14-Nov-16 18:00:24

Does he like dinosaurs? My son loved loved LOVED the Dinosaur Cove series of books. He was perhaps 5 going on 6 when he got into them but they really are great. Or Flat Stanley books are very funny.

I also found some of the Dick King Smith books good at this age...like the Hodgeheg, George Speaks, the Sheep Pig etc.

itsgottabeblackorwhite Mon 14-Nov-16 18:29:25

we like the monster and chips chapter books, Dixie chapter books, and lighthouse keeper series, winnie the witch, Mr men books have great vocabularly as well.

Groovester Mon 14-Nov-16 18:38:01

When my son was 5, he loved the Claude books by Alex T. Smith. He rereads them himself now a few years in.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now