Advent book calender

(12 Posts)
backonthewagon Sun 13-Nov-16 20:55:03

So basically you give your child a new Christmas themed book every night in December up to Christmas Eve. I know you can get books cheap from The Works, The Book People, charity shops etc but does anyone think it is still a bit extravagant? I am not sure how I feel about a present every day just because it is December.

bloodyteenagers Sun 13-Nov-16 20:57:54

I have never heard of this.
Just why?
So a book every day in December. A hamper full of crap on Christmas Eve. And of course Christmas Day.
Just why?
What's honestly so special about this day that gives it more meaning the people's actual birthdays. Wonder how many kids are wandering around wondering the same..

YesILikeItToo Sun 13-Nov-16 21:05:43

I have heard of this, seemed quite extravagant, so I just did it differently. You don't need to do 24, you don't need to have fresh books each year, you don't need to 'give' them new books at all if you have some Christmas books already. All I wanted to do was put a bit of a sense of occasion around a box of Christmas books.

Reallywhataday Sun 13-Nov-16 21:17:22

I did this last year. Got the books from The Works, book people, £1 shops, charity shops and used ones we already had. Each one had a Christmas theme. Cost me £20. Stored them in a nice Christmas decorated box under the tree and the kids picked one each night to read while drinking their hot milk before bed.

I packed the books away and will bring the box back down for this year and use them all again.

My kids love it and looked forward to picking their book before bed.

As with everything it can cost you as much or as little as you like.

backonthewagon Sun 13-Nov-16 21:19:13

bloodyteenagers

What did or do you do Christmas Eve?

We do bath, PJs, Christmas film with popcorn and hot choc, sprinkle reindeer food, put out carrot, mince pie and a miniature bottle of something on the Christmas Eve plate, then Christmas bedtime story.

Would you think a family Christmas prep box with bath stuff, pjs, DVD, popcorn, hot choc, marshmallows, reindeer food, the plate and stuff to leave put and the book would be too much, considering it is stuff we would use anyway?

Captainladder Sun 13-Nov-16 21:19:26

MIL has done these for the kiddies, they love it. There are 2 kids and they take turns opening a book at bedtime and we use it as the bedtime story that night. I think she got the books from charity shops. Prefer it to chocolates!

I think it's a bit daft tbh. Bit like Christmas Eve 'hampers', yeah do new (CHRISTMAS themed) pj's, have hot chocolate and watch a film but ffs why do you need to present it in a stupid box and try and make it out as a bloody present?!

A new Christmas book every day? Stupid. Not only is that total overload on Christmas theme and a complete waste of money, but it's just, well, daft isn't it?

If your kids like having a box of books to choose a book from for a bedtime story, I'm sure they'd like that every day. They'd probably enjoy the library too...

A couple of Christmas themed books read over December? Perfectly normal. But this whole 'Book Advent' thing is just nuts and adding to the whole overloading Christmas with nonsense thing

YesILikeItToo Sun 13-Nov-16 23:11:19

Doesn't sound like it would suit you Triptrap! I love all the 'tell me your favourite Christmas books' threads you get around this time of year!

OvO Sun 13-Nov-16 23:57:38

I did the book thing for 4 years. My DC loved it. Some were Christmas themed while others just winter themed. We had short stories, joke books, poems, plays and novels.

Had to stop as we had 96 Christmas/winter books!

Now I just put a selection out on Dec 1st and they pick and choose what to read for the rest of the month.

I don't find it wasteful - it's books! They'll be read again and again, then eventually passed on to cousins or the charity shop.

As for cost - eBay or Amazon sellers are your friend. I got a lot of practically perfect copies for very little.

MummyIsAFreeElf Mon 14-Nov-16 01:23:33

We started this last year and are doing it again. I've gotten a selection this year ranging from what kids like to winter themed books leading into the Christmas ones. I haven't bought the kids books from last year as I knew I would be doing it again. My kids loved it as after their bath each night they took turns to open a new book instead of the same stories all year. I preferred it over sweets or chocolate or toy advent calendars

backonthewagon Tue 15-Nov-16 12:14:36

TripTrap just wondered what you thought about a Xmas prep box or bag that I posted above? I totally agree that they should only get presents Christmas Day and not diluted throughout the whole of December. I get all those things anyway and keep them together in a box or bag so it is easy to find on Christmas Eve. Usually I just get the items out as and when we need them on the 24th but would it really make a difference if I give it to my son in the box or bag? I wouldn't wrap it up or introuduce it as a gift. Sort of like an ingredients list to get ready for Christmas Day?

bloodyteenagers Tue 15-Nov-16 16:45:45

We do regular baths, hot chocolate, marshmallows, movie nights etc.
books are part of the regular routine anyway and are chosen either from the shelves of books or the kindle. We have a few books about winter, last read in the summer holidays.
No need for a box or bag as everything is always there. Well apart from reindeer food, never done it. We leave a drink, whatever veg (bit of celery, cucumber or a carrot) and a couple of sweets/chocolate.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now