AM I a mean parent?

(17 Posts)
Mummyshortlegz Sun 13-Nov-16 19:38:30

Although I have almost finished my Christmas shopping and adore the run up to Christmas, Christmas movies are not allowed until 1st December. I came home on Friday to find ds1 (3) and DH watching Arthur Christmas.

So, am I mean for reserving Christmas films for December (I allow till 12th night)?

Heirhelp Sun 13-Nov-16 19:42:48

Why have you banned them?

dementedpixie Sun 13-Nov-16 19:43:58

Sounds a bit strange to ban them

HairsprayBabe Sun 13-Nov-16 19:44:41

Not at all, there are only so many decent Christmas films and you will end up seeing them approx 1000 times before Jan 6th if you start now!

mailfuckoff Sun 13-Nov-16 19:44:49

No Christmas music films or food here until 1st Dec. Otherwise it dilutes the magic and by the time the day is here you are fed up already

Believeitornot Sun 13-Nov-16 19:45:11

You are mean and a bit anal. Honestly.

I don't have any Christmas decs up until after dd's birthday at th beginning of
December. However she has asked to have the tree up as she wants it for her birthday! So will make the change as why not!?

MyKingdomForBrie Sun 13-Nov-16 19:45:33

Well yes, totally, DH has equal say in what films can or cannot be watched, given that he's an adult and parent too.

Mummyshortlegz Sun 13-Nov-16 19:46:04

To Keep them and December a bit more special. Ds1 will ask to watch Christmas films at any time of the year and I always say no. I just don't think you appreciate them or enjoy them as much if you watch them at any old time.

Once the advent calendar is out then it's free for all.

AmberEars Sun 13-Nov-16 19:47:00

It's ok for you to make that decision for yourself (and DS while he's in your care). But it's also ok for your DH to have a different opinion. YABU if you insist on a blanket ban for the whole family.

ChippyMinton Sun 13-Nov-16 19:48:36

control freak

Blossomdeary Sun 13-Nov-16 19:49:29

An interesting question. When I was little we put the tree up on Christmas Eve and had out first treat - a glass of lemonade! It did make it special.

megletthesecond Sun 13-Nov-16 19:55:16

We don't do Xmas movies until December either. Tree doesn't go up until the night before they break up.

anyoldname76 Sun 13-Nov-16 19:57:13

i think id tell my dh where go if he told me that i want allowed to watch something grin

MrsBellefleur Sun 13-Nov-16 20:00:41

Oh god my three year old has had The Snowman and The Snowman and the Snow dog on repeat for weeks already. I'm sick of them!

Mrsmadevans Sun 13-Nov-16 20:04:28

Yes you are being mean imho Nothing nicer than cuddling up with the kids on a horrible day and watching Elf or Home alone

Meadows76 Sun 13-Nov-16 20:06:32

Any particular reason why a Christmas movie is more special just because you have had to wait until December for it?

I love Christmas movies and they are special if I watch them in any fucking month November also

Mummyshortlegz Sun 13-Nov-16 20:11:31

I guess it's the difference between a movie about Christmas and a movie you watch at Christmas. So if you watched Elf all through the year by December it's just s film about Christmas and not something you savour because Tis the season.

Btw - dh and ds1 got a very jokey telling off, they know me opinion and I honestly do not control my husband. He can watch what he likes but I can also express my opinion that I'd prefer they weren't on till December. I just think it adds to the specialness of December.

Fully accept I may be an anal, control freak and totally mean. But this is not AIBU and I am so glad I didn't post it there!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now