Very very hypoallergenic brands

(11 Posts)
annandale Sat 12-Nov-16 20:02:10

Hi, I'm thinking about buying something in the smellies or skincare or possibly makeup area for a sister in law. I don't know her that well really despite 30 years in the same family sad I know she has a lot of allergies and psoriasis but we are not on the terms that would allow me to ask her exactly what she's allergic to. I just wondered if there is a brand that's pretty safe on the standard allergens front?

Sadik Sat 12-Nov-16 21:26:20

Sorry to be a bit discouraging, but I have allergy / eczema issues, and (a) I'm always very, very wary of anything new, and (b) I really do have to use unperfumed toiletries.
So a gift would most likely just get passed on as I wouldn't want to risk it, and even if it did happen by luck to be a brand I knew I was safe with, it'd be a very boring present . . .
Fortunately now I'm older it's not an issue as only people who know me well give me gifts, but I always found it rather disappointing as a teenager/young woman to open a Christmas present and find it was something that would have to go straight in the charity shop pile.

SitsOnFence Sat 12-Nov-16 22:11:36

It's a really lovely idea but, as someone with very sensitive skin, I would really prefer not to recieved anything for my skin. It's just not worth the risk of trying something new and ending up with a flare up that could take weeks, if not months, to get back under control.

A beautifully scented candle, however, would be very welcomed (since I can't have anything perfumed, not even washing powder, so really appreciate nice smelling stuff!)

Good luck!

SitsOnFence Sat 12-Nov-16 22:12:03

Gosh, sorry for all the typos blush

Thatwaslulu Sat 12-Nov-16 22:14:15

Could you buy a voucher instead so your SIL can choose herself something? You could present it in a makeup bag with some makeup brushes and a nice mirror if you want it to look fancy.

shouldwestayorshouldwego Sat 12-Nov-16 22:32:44

I find almost any scent will start me sneezing. I really wouldn't give something like that. Is there anything else that she does like which might be an area that we can suggest other presents?

shouldwestayorshouldwego Sat 12-Nov-16 22:34:44

Make up affects me too - my eyes water.

annandale Sun 13-Nov-16 08:03:43

All really helpful, thank you. Yes, as I was typing it it sounded a daft choice.

She's been very down this year and I don't want to give her something too associated with her hobbies and interests, as it might seem like I was saying 'you should get back to doing these things, snap out of it' - just want to give her something nice. Difficult if I'm not really a friend to her in the first place.

Scented candle is a possibility - I assumed it would be just as bad as any other smelly thing, is that not the case?

WellyMummy Sun 13-Nov-16 08:15:54

I have eczema and a fragrance allergy. I wouldn't want to be given things for my skin, the chances of finding something I'm not allergic to are too unlikely. My fragrance allergy would also mean that scented candles would be removed from my home ASAP.
You've had a really kind idea, but personally I'd think again.

SitsOnFence Sun 13-Nov-16 10:15:33

Oops, sorry for the scented candle suggestion. I had assumed that the allergies were limited to skin allergies.

How about a really lovely, luxurious pair of merino wool or cashmere gloves? Cliched, I know, but you can never have too many pairs and they're one of those things that you don't tend to splurge too much on for yourself. Again with the cliches, but lovely wool/cashmere/silk socks would fall into the same category.

SitsOnFence Sun 13-Nov-16 10:16:26

I meant to add that if her skin allergies are really very bad I'd opt for gloves rather than socks, as she can wear them over a silk under-glove.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now