M&S - a little rant

(10 Posts)
SmileAndNod Sat 12-Nov-16 16:49:53

I received my beauty advent calendar this morning, in fact I received 2.

So I phoned them to let them know, thinking they would let me donate it to someone who could do with cheering up. Was thinking a women's refuge.

But no. I have to (at my expense) travel to the nearest M♤S to return it so they can put it back to stock.

It's not mine to keep, but what with it being christmas and all thought they might have a charitable feeling and allowed a donation sad

AndShesGone Sat 12-Nov-16 17:00:58

You don't have to take it back, call again. If it's their mistake they have to pick it up.

PoliticalBiscuit Sat 12-Nov-16 17:02:37

Ooh yes I wouldn't return it to a store. They can send a courier.

OhTheRoses Sat 12-Nov-16 17:09:16

I just had a good look at it and didn't think it was worth it. Thought about it for DD and too many creams, lotions and brushes. Not enough make-up, bath products, and I don't think it's got enough wow factor.

They should collect btw

Thisjustinno Sat 12-Nov-16 17:11:02

Why on earth would you think they'd agree to you giving it away?

EstelleRoberts Sat 12-Nov-16 17:17:01

I don't think they are unreasonable in wanting it back, but I do think they are unreasonable in expecting you to do the leg work in returning it to them. At the expense of your own time and travel costs! Cheeky bastards.

Tell them they can collect it from you. But don't make any special effort to wait in for a courier at specific times. Their mistake, they can correct it.

Bobsmum02 Sat 12-Nov-16 17:17:28

I spoke to marks and Spencer's customer service through Facebook messenger this week and they couldn't have been more helpful, I was very impressed. Maybe try contacting them through there or ring them back, maybe you just got a bit of a jobs worth 😞

SmileAndNod Sat 12-Nov-16 17:21:44

I will get them to collect - I didn't realise they offered that service, and the person I was speaking to didn't suggest it.
I wasn't hoping to keep it - if I had I would have kept quiet! Other companies (book people for example) when they have doubled up an order have suggested giving to a charity shop, which I did. Just seemed like a nice thing to do smile

Monkeyface26 Sat 12-Nov-16 17:28:03

They are called unsolicited goods. They still belong to the sender but you absolutely do NOT have to take them back to M&S. They have to send a courier to collect them and they will need to fix a time for that courier to call which is convenient to you. They have made a mistake and need to rectify it without any inconvenience to you. This is the legal position - it is not a debatable point. They also have to collect the goods within a reasonable time.
Last Christmas, M&S sent me 3 pans instead of the 1 that I ordered. I refused to take the bus into town (1 hr each way & £4), I leave the house each day before 7pm and get home at 6.45pm and I travel to care for a relative at the weekend, so they needed to send an evening courier. They let me keep the pans in the end as courier arrangements would have cost more than pans were worth. They have no legal grounds to compel you to do anything. It's their error so calmly stand your ground.

Monkeyface26 Sat 12-Nov-16 17:29:04

before 7am!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now