When am I supposed to order my food?

(11 Posts)
busyrascal Sat 12-Nov-16 08:00:41

Hosting xmas dinner for the first time and I'm a bit clueless. 4 adults and 2 kids I think.

I just saw on another thread that someone has already ordered their goose. I'm doing turkey rather than goose but do I need to order it already?

And where do people get their turkeys from??

wannabestressfree Sat 12-Nov-16 08:03:42

It depends where you shop....
M&s have the books in store and you can order everything to be picked up xmas eve.
The local butcher may need to know a couple of weeks in advance.
Tesco always have turkey...
Iceland will have a fiver joint if you get your elbows out and fight for it right up to the last minute smile
I normally do the first.

SavoyCabbage Sat 12-Nov-16 08:13:40

When I've just got an ordinary turkey I've just got with my ordinary shopping about five days before Christmas. You need to think about where you are going to keep it. What space you have in your fridge or freezer.

If you do your supermarket shopping online you might be able to book a slot now and put it in your trolley.

If you want something a bit different you are best to order it now. Either from M&S, Sainsbury's etc or from somewhere like Heals Farm.

anyoldname76 Sat 12-Nov-16 08:59:06

i order my turkey from my local butchers, will pick it up on Dec 23rd when i do the rest of the shopping, i dont do online shopping anymore as i mainly shop at aldi.

Dionysuss Sat 12-Nov-16 16:38:08

Our turkey is already ordered from a farm, we always say we need it to feed a few more people than are coming to make sure it's big enough. We have a ticket to collect it Christmas Eve.

Mil goes to tesco before they close Christmas Eve to get a cheap one that has been marked down. That's too risky for me to consider.

Floralnomad Sat 12-Nov-16 16:42:35

My dsis hosts our Christmas and she's put the food orders in this morning , Morrisons for me to collect on fri23rd ( whilst my mum does the rest of the shopping) and Marks on Christmas Eve ( whilst I get my Xmas eve buffet stuff) . We are very organised !

TheHotstepper Sat 12-Nov-16 16:53:27

I'm ordering my turkey tomorrow from the butcher. My Christmas Tesco order will be booked on the 26th when slots open. I'll hopefully get the 23rd.

HeCantBeSerious Sat 12-Nov-16 16:55:11

We don't do Xmas on the 25th so we just get something during the week we are having it.

HammersWidow Sat 12-Nov-16 16:56:25

Mine has been on order with Ocado to be delivered Christmas Eve

HammersWidow Sat 12-Nov-16 16:56:42

Oops

Since mid October!

FurryDogMother Sat 12-Nov-16 17:05:59

If you're ordering a frozen turkey, don't forget to leave enough time for it to defrost before the day! I have 2 Ocado orders coming, one on the 20th, which includes our (frozen) turkey crown, plus other stuff that doesn't go off (including booze!), and then one on Christmas Eve with the vegetables, cream and other perishables, enough to last us for the whole of Christmas week.

Tesco haven't opened their slots yet, not sure who else has.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now