Sentimental gift for 8 year old ds

(17 Posts)
Maryann1975 Thu 10-Nov-16 11:43:34

My fil has terminal cancer and this will probably be his last Christmas. I have suggested instead of buying the DC more toys this year, they give something more sentimental that the DC can keep and be reminded of their grandad in future. The dds are easy, a necklace or earrings are what I'm looking at for them. Any ideas on what I could get ds that would be suitable. He is in to football, but a different team to his grandad so that kind of discounts anything football related.

jopickles Thu 10-Nov-16 11:56:30

a colleague of mine recently lost her father and has had some cushions made with some of his clothes as a keepsake how about something like that

Bumbumtaloo Thu 10-Nov-16 12:24:06

How about a watch? It could also be engraved.

J3NN1 Thu 10-Nov-16 13:07:16

Sorry to hear about your fil.
What about a buildabear? You can record a message from your fil that your ds can play whenever he likes.
A friends mum and dad did this for her dc when they were terminal and it was a beautiful keepsake.

FATEdestiny Thu 10-Nov-16 13:20:14

www.amazon.co.uk/Memories-My-Grandchild-Keepsake-Remember/dp/144130262X

There are various formats for the same thing you can but, not just this one.

The grandparents memory book works like this:

- it's a hardback book which asks lots of questions and has spaces for the answers to be written in
- there are also spaces to add your own questions (Google has some great suggestions for this).
- the grandchild gives this as a gift for the grandparent. (So it's actually the other way around to your request)
- the grandchild makes it personal by adding specific questions into the book
- the grandparent, at his leisure, completes the book. Maybe the parent helps the grandparent with this, if needed.
- then the completed book is given back to the grandchild, wrapped up as a gift at a later date.

ineedamoreadultieradult Thu 10-Nov-16 13:32:11

Obviously everyone deals with things in different ways but I'll just give you my thoughts and you can ignore if you wish. Last year DS's Great Nana died on the 23rd December. Their Nana (her daughter) wanted to give them things to remember her by at Christmas but DH said no he wanted Christmas to be as normal as possible for them. So at Christmas they just had normal presents and on the 29th or 30th after the excitement of Christmas had died down a bit we gave them the sentimental Great Nana gifts. They were 8 and 5 at the time and they were more emotionally affected by these gifts than I had imagined so I am glad we didn't do it on Christmas day. Also by the sounds of it your FIL will hopefully still be here at Christmas (obviously anything can happen) so would it not be best to try and make Christmas as happy as possible and let FIL see the joy of them receiving a much wanted toy etc. Then save the more sentimental items for later. Like I said feel free to ignore just my thoughts.

TwigTheWonderKid Thu 10-Nov-16 18:18:34

What about a folio edition book? Then maybe they can read it together and it will be something your DS could pass on to his own children or grandchildren.

whimsical1975 Thu 10-Nov-16 19:38:07

What about a specially made quilt for each of them? It can go on their beds and used to wrap up in to keep warm as well as comfort them when not well etc. I had one made for DS for his first birthday, in colours and patterns that can be used into adulthood - we went for blues/whites/beiges. It's gorgeous and he'll have it forever.

shouldwestayorshouldwego Thu 10-Nov-16 19:52:32

What about an engraved metal christmas decoration like this you could get similar for the girls and a present that they can enjoy now.

daisydalrymple Fri 11-Nov-16 20:29:47

Hi, my dad has advanced Alzheimer's and previously I've bought ds1 a football boot money box in silver (Amazon I think). Also got ds2 a football one, although he's only two. Theyre both lovely although on the small side, but perfect as sentimental gifts.

Or maybe a football watch?

daisydalrymple Fri 11-Nov-16 20:31:55

If you put silver football money box in Amazon both the ball and boot come up. Can't link as am on my phone and it never works sorry.

daisydalrymple Fri 11-Nov-16 20:33:34

And is it an option to do a chronological photo album / photo book for each of them, showing their special times with GPs? Although I appreciate this can be time consuming.

Starlight2345 Fri 11-Nov-16 20:37:08

This is a Christening gift my DS had a 7 but he had an engraved compass.. He does get it out now and again.

BeaLola Fri 11-Nov-16 20:39:37

Firstly sorry about yr F-in-law. If he is well enough is there an outing that he and your family could do together to have a special Christmas memory ? Re gifts - how old is yr son ? I like Iagreeadults suggestion. Perhaps a watch or engraved cufflinks. If something for now rather than later a St Christopher ?

user1471950254 Fri 11-Nov-16 20:50:24

So sorry for the circumstances of your post. I was also going to suggest what FATEdestiny said as came across this on a website earlier week and thought it was a lovely idea

passremarkable Sat 12-Nov-16 05:04:54

That's a lovely idea. My grandmother gave me two things that mean a lot. Firstly a family bible. Secondly, the complete Delia Smith hardback. I think of her every time I cook from it, or even se it on the shelf. She wrote me a poem inside.

But he might be too little to appreciate these yet? Maybe cufflinks/watch also something to grow into.

OpheIiaBaIIs Sat 12-Nov-16 07:57:20

I'm so sorry OP flowers

How about a beautiful edition of a favourite childhood classic, with a handwritten message on the flyleaf? Something your DS can keep and maybe read to his own DC in years to come, while telling them about their great granddad.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now