Book or TV programme to explain Christmas for a 3 year old with SEN

(20 Posts)
Craftyoldhen Thu 10-Nov-16 11:10:04

Hi
I'm looking for a very basic book or social story I can use to explain what happens at Christmas for my little boy. Can anyone recommend a good one?

Alternatively any episodes of kids tv that might help. I'm racking my brain for good ones but can only think of peppa pig Christmas episode where daddy pig ends up carrying the Christmas tree home, and I'm not sure that's what I'm looking for!

Craftyoldhen Thu 10-Nov-16 19:17:17

Hopeful bump

HeCantBeSerious Thu 10-Nov-16 19:20:15

But not all xmases are the same...... confused

Craftyoldhen Thu 10-Nov-16 19:21:10

Just very basic standard stuff would be good smile

HeCantBeSerious Thu 10-Nov-16 19:32:29

But what's standard? We're not mainstream: don't celebrate on 25th Dec, no carols, nativity or queen's speech; don't do Santa; tend to follow pagan traditions rather than Christian.

fourcorneredcircle Thu 10-Nov-16 19:35:34

Mr Tumble's Christmas special has lots of Christmas activities innit (trees, presents, parties/FC) but doesn't have the story of Christmas (not sure if you're looking for that?)

m.youtube.com/watch?v=7XBdbqZMauE

fourcorneredcircle Thu 10-Nov-16 19:36:05

Innit?! Innit?!

My spell check thinks it's cool.

Craftyoldhen Thu 10-Nov-16 19:40:24

Thanks forcornered that sounds good, I'll have a watch.

Not bothered about the Christmas story as I think that will be to abstract for DS. Just things that he is likely to directly see or experience.

OnchaoFerngrass Thu 10-Nov-16 19:44:52

Spot's first Christmas?

fourcorneredcircle Thu 10-Nov-16 19:46:38

It's good I think. Has a section about visiting Father Christmas which is helpful because it must seem odd to talk to/visit a stranger whose face you can't see and who is wearing a costume. I like the carol singing at the end too - nice opportunity to play the same song with your child and make it part of your Christmas smile. Don't know if your child uses Makaton at all, or will in the future but you could learn it together smile

fourcorneredcircle Thu 10-Nov-16 19:52:38

There are some ideas here too on on how to tweak Christmas activities to make them more accessible to all.

www.oneplaceforspecialneeds.com/main/library_holiday_traditions.html

hazeyjane Thu 10-Nov-16 19:55:13

Makaton also do some printable resources (some free) and books on their website here

I made a social story for ds - very simple - using photos.

Craftyoldhen Thu 10-Nov-16 20:46:28

Ah brilliant, got some good stuff to start with there.

Hazey I defo need to get organised and look at how to make my own social stories.

flowersflowersflowers

Chillywhippet Fri 11-Nov-16 20:10:25

Book People Christmas story pack

Crafty saw this lovely collection and thought of you and your DS fsmile

Craftyoldhen Sat 12-Nov-16 15:13:53

Thanks chilly flowers

AmyAmoeba Mon 14-Nov-16 21:31:11

Alfie's Christmas might be useful.

ShatnersBassoon Mon 14-Nov-16 21:34:02

Lucy and Tom at Christmas by Shirley Hughes is a good, simple story of a family Christmas with lovely illustrations.

newtothenet Mon 14-Nov-16 21:37:36

There's an Alfie Christmas book - I've not read it but we've got it for this year. Also the Mog one is good (the original Christmas one though, not the one that came out in Sainsbury's last year as it has a scary fire in the plot).

Chillywhippet Wed 16-Nov-16 22:24:43

Moving house and came across this lovely, simple book about a mum and her 2 kids preparing for And hosting Christmas Day. There's very little text and beautiful illustrations as you can see on "look inside"

Doing Christmas by Sarah Garland

TeenAndTween Thu 17-Nov-16 16:50:18

Mog's Christmas?

Talks about trees, decorating houses, presents?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now