Present for 92yo MIL with dementia

(20 Posts)
CocktailQueen Wed 09-Nov-16 11:27:54

In a care home, has everything she needs. Doesn't read any more. No real room in her room for more photos/pics. Gave her a cushion and blanket last week. Help!!!

OutnumberedbyFurchesters Wed 09-Nov-16 11:30:01

I know a lot of ladies with Dementia who've loved a little doll, as it gives them something to care for, and a bit of a focus?

smile

Murphysgirl Wed 09-Nov-16 11:30:16

What about a twiddlemuff? https://www.alzproducts.co.uk/twiddle-muff-pup-cat-sport.html

Ethelswith Wed 09-Nov-16 11:50:35

I have given an elderly relative in similar circumstances CDs of hymns and school assembly songs (she was a primary school teacher, and I was hoping they might resonate).

I've bought a CD of carols (lively ones) by a cathedral choir for this year.

Other things to consider: hand cream, body lotion (check if skin fragility is an issue), reed diffuser if you can find one in a known favourite smell, pretty box of tissues, adult colouring books if she could still manage them

OrangesAreTheOnlyFruit Wed 09-Nov-16 12:38:17

How about corralling her photos into a memory album and add in some extras like bits of fabric from loved clothes/blankets etc and bits of jewellery? Things that she will accurately recall from many years ago. Or a collection of popular songs from the 40s, some trad lippie etc?

JellyTeapot Wed 09-Nov-16 12:42:28

For a similarly aged relative with dementia last year I made up a little gift basket with proper old school toiletries in it - original Imperial Leather soap and so on, things she might remember.

LizzieMacQueen Wed 09-Nov-16 12:51:09

Bottle of whiskey?

All the above are really thoughtful though my first (evil) thought was, wrap something she already owns. Would she know?

Apologies if I have lowered the tone of your sweet thoughts.

CocktailQueen Wed 09-Nov-16 16:48:08

Ha - a bottle of sheery is a good idea. I also LOVE the photo album idea. Dh has all her photos etc in our garage hmm, which he has to clear out, so I could have a lkook through and put together an album of old ones. I also thought about a cassette player with a tape of 40s songs... She also loves carols - one of the few things she can remember is the words for Xmas hymns. Thank you all smile

kizzywizz Wed 09-Nov-16 17:12:45

I work in a care home, a resident can never have too many toiletries.

MapMyMum Wed 09-Nov-16 17:15:26

Photoblocks and a hamper of toiletries etc

JinkxMonsoon Wed 09-Nov-16 17:17:56

Nice chocolates? My nan also has dementia and is in a care home, and loves little treats like that, especially if she's not been eating much recently.

Sgtmajormummy Wed 09-Nov-16 17:18:07

Olfactory memory is one of the last to go, so what about some fragrant biscuits or cake? Do they still make Jamaican Ginger or Golden Syrup cakes?

nell15 Wed 09-Nov-16 17:22:47

I get my mum fleecy socks - she hasn't any mobility so wears these instead of slippers, music, talking books, Toiletries, whisky, dolls and soft toys - she talks to them and cuddles them. I see a lot of the residents with those woolly wrist sleeves things with bobbles etc on to fiddle with

Artandco Wed 09-Nov-16 17:24:39

One of those teddies which can go in the microwave ?

thatsn0tmyname Wed 09-Nov-16 17:25:59

Flowers/ a Christmas flower basket?

ClaudiaWankleman Wed 09-Nov-16 17:28:49

I second the doll idea - a relative with dementia is often inseparable from her doll, which has a motor in which gives the doll a heartbeat and some warmth. It's really lovely to see her interact with it in a way which she can't with adults anymore.

CocktailQueen Wed 09-Nov-16 17:42:08

I don;'t thikn her dementia is bad enough for a doll. Interesting thought, though. I like the Twiddle muffs. We take in toiletries for her whenever the home asks. I like the idea of a scented thing. Will ask dh what his mum's fav smells were. Thank you all.

ObsidianWinter Wed 09-Nov-16 17:43:21

Maybe something like this? https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B00A8L1AVE/ref=awwll_ovdpp_2_5?colid=17PCPDZYLOW97&coliid=I2X13XE31B1H2R

ChimpyChops Fri 11-Nov-16 00:35:20

The twiddle muff is a good idea, highly recommended for dementia patients. I would also second the toiletries suggestion, I would buy some nicer ones than usual, find out if she has a shower or a bath and cater to that with some lovely bubbles or some lovely smelling shower gel. I new nail kit or hairbrush may be a nice idea too.

PeppaTheFirst Sat 12-Nov-16 23:43:59

Last year I got my gran some really nice flowery mugs and a set of cake/biscuit tins to brighten up the kitchen. She is still in her own home (sheltered accomodation) and used to be so house-proud. Each year my Uncle makes up a calendar for her using family photo's. Smellies are also a good go-to pressie. Anything lavender or rose does the trick!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now