a doctors kit...what should I include?

(15 Posts)
toastymarshmallow Wed 09-Nov-16 09:22:46

DD2 has is asking Santa for a "doctors kit with an injection". Her school has now got a doctors station (she wanted the kit before the school did this) and I just saw her playing in there today with a real stethoscope.

I don't think a toy kit will cut the mustard after that.

So what all do I need to include in the kit if I were to make my own? Anyone done this before and can give me ideas?

So far I have thought of
-stethoscope
-syringes
-plasters and some of those fabric bandage wraps

shouldwestayorshouldwego Wed 09-Nov-16 09:31:31

We got a real stethoscope and they are surprisingly cheap.

I made x-rays. If you google and print some pictures of broken bones then cut them up, put a second sheet of plain paper over the picture to obscure it. Laminate them together and when it is held up to the light you can see the fracture.

Print off a prescription pad.

Some empty vitamin containers for medicine.

A few spare calpol syringes for medicines. Or you can buy them cheaply from a chemist.

HerRoyalFattyness Wed 09-Nov-16 09:33:22

A thermometer.

toastymarshmallow Wed 09-Nov-16 09:39:00

Great idea's, thanks! Love the prescription pad especially, I might made one up myself with her name on it.

Yes, I have just been on amazon and found a stethoscope, syringes, masks, and a pen light otoscope, but that last one will have to be used under supervision in case she sticks it right in her ear. All those are quite cheap. I am surprised!

Toddlerteaplease Wed 09-Nov-16 09:45:11

Latex free gloves!

Toddlerteaplease Wed 09-Nov-16 09:46:03

Doctors don't take temperatures! That's the nurses job!!!

toastymarshmallow Wed 09-Nov-16 09:50:49

Also, any ideas of what kind of bag to put it all in?

Yeah my DH was talking to his mum the other say and said something about DD2 wanting a nurses outfit. I was angry and said if she was a boy you would have said doctors outfit.

Nothing wrong with being a nurse, but fgs the child has specified doctor!

Ginmakesitallok Wed 09-Nov-16 09:53:26

Gps certainly take temperatures!

toastymarshmallow Wed 09-Nov-16 09:56:33

Yeah my GP took mine last week. I have added a cheap thermometer to my basket.

The laugh of this is that she HATES anything medical and properly freaks out at both the doctors and the dentist.

SmileAndNod Wed 09-Nov-16 10:03:27

I'm doing the same for my just 3 year old who is insistent she's going to be a doctor [Dr Chris & Dr Xand have a lot to answer for!]
I've bought a stethoscope from eBay, one of those fob watch things, as she also wants a watch, a doctor's outfit with scrubs and a white coat. Made a little name badge / card with her name. Had considered an otoscope but bit worried she might practise on the dog. Think I just need a little doctors bag now.

Haudyerwheesht Wed 09-Nov-16 10:06:52

I did this for Dd a couple of years ago and she still plays with it (she's 6)

Real stethoscope
Cheap thermometer
Syringes
Pen that looks like a syringe with blood in
Bandages
Plasters (but I regretted this because she stuck them to teddies)
Empty sudocreme tub
A little book with tear off pages to be like a prescription pad
A fob watch
White coat
Pens etc
Tongue depressors
Ear scope thing
A pen with a torch on the end

Haudyerwheesht Wed 09-Nov-16 10:07:21

Oh and yes I made her a lanyard too

Toddlerteaplease Wed 09-Nov-16 10:14:02

A small scrub top? If you can get one small enough.

endoftheworldasweknowit Thu 10-Nov-16 22:42:54

I can recommend poundshops for supplies.. thermometers, plasters, bandages, tubigrip and ice packs are all usually there!

I also got a super cheap tendon hammer and BP cuff as well as the stethoscope from eBay and a bunch of those pen torches I've never raided the kids doctors kit for work when I've lost my own stuff, never!

Badgoushk Thu 10-Nov-16 22:47:11

Such a lovely idea!

I'm a doctor and I like to have handy...
Name badge on a lanyard
Stethoscope
Tourniquet
Syringes
Cotton wool balls
White micropore tape
Pen torch
Reflex hammer
Cross body bag
Pen
Paper
Watch with a second hand

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now