Hexbugs ?

(4 Posts)
BeaLola Wed 02-Nov-16 23:28:29

Ok so thinking what DS who will be 9 by Christmas would like - he is no help as would like a phone (! No way ) or hair gel - that he can have in his stocking.

Have seen Hexbugs mentioned on few threads - would these be good - what would be good starter range/pack and where best to buy from?

gigglingHyena Fri 04-Nov-16 11:00:40

We have the orginals, I think the newer ones also climb tubes which looks fun.

For us they have been something which DS goes back to every so often, but don't engage him for that long at a time. Setting up the habitat is fun, but there is only so long it's interesting to watch the bugs go round it.

Smyths & the entertainer are usually reasonably priced. The original sets seem to pop up in home bargains quite often.

The hive is pretty good, and you can keep all the bugs inside it.

Tiggles Fri 04-Nov-16 15:04:32

My 8 and 10 year old love hexbugs. They go through phases of playing with them but when they do they are kept occupied for ages. We have some V2 track (where the V2 hexbugs can climb vertical tubes) and also some 'old' hexbug track that it fits together with that glows in the dark. Would also recommend getting the zip wire too. I have bought most of ours on offer in the entertainer, but do keep eyes open for deals everynow and then on amazon/toys r us.

SpookyMooky Fri 04-Nov-16 16:10:35

They are brilliant but to me they're like brio train tracks, in that you need plenty of track and options to get the most fun out of them. You might get just a very basic starter train track and wrap up the bits for a stocking, but you're then quite limited in what you can do with it. As a minimum I'd get something where they can move in 3D, whether that is old ones climbing ramps or the newer vertical climbers. Also get extra button batteries - very cheap on amazon - and have a jeweller's screwdriver to hand as they do burn (tiny, cheap) batteries!

They were a big hit with my two at 4 and 6. I don't remember the last time my 9 year old got them out, but she's not into any toys these days really whereas others still are.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now