Blankets for Presents for elderly IL's

(22 Posts)
CheeryPoinsettia Tue 01-Nov-16 11:14:01

Can anyone suggest somewhere to buy blankets for a couple in the 70's. They sit and watch tv a lot. I did think a slanket for MIL and then a tartan affair for FIL BUT where do I buy tasteful ones from? Can anyone help?

Citizenerased123 Tue 01-Nov-16 12:38:49

Highgrove is my go to place for presents for IL and grandparents Highgrove

Or the national trust shop has nice blankets usually national trust

PotteringAlong Tue 01-Nov-16 12:39:59

I was going to say national trust too!

Baylisiana Tue 01-Nov-16 12:51:12

Do you they definitely want that kind of thing? I would love it, I have a slacker and it is great. But I have noticed that family members in their 70s think it is crazy and something that only an invalid would use. I tend to find that people in their 70s do not necessarily want to be given things they see as for the elderly or infirm. We know slankets are for everyone, but that generation is not used to that idea.

Not trying to discourage you from giving this gift as I assume you know them and what they would like it, and it you are into that kind of thing it is a fabulous gift. Just sounding a note of caution in case it was more of a guess.
Just noticed slanket autocorrected to slacker grin

DonkeyOaty Tue 01-Nov-16 13:04:48

Hah at slacker grin

You do need to think about trip hazard so a smaller blanket rather than a throw if you see what I mean.

Giselaw Tue 01-Nov-16 13:53:11

Huge indulgence but given it was cheaper than some cardigans we were looking at, this [[http://www.tkmaxx.com/throws+bedspreads/grey-dip-dye-cashmere-throw/invt/60121619 £170 cashmere throw][ in tk maxx was amazing. Different styles/colours on there too.

BiddyPop Tue 01-Nov-16 13:58:46

Foxford have lovely woven wool blankets - called baby blankets - which have a few in more bright colours and work well as lap blankets for adults. We bought 1 for DGM quite a few years ago, she used it for maybe 3 years before she died, and DM now has it in her holiday house where it also gets a lot of use.

Actually - I see they now have a specific range of lap rugs as well...Foxford

Mouseinahole Tue 01-Nov-16 16:11:26

I am 72 and dh is 80 we really really wouldn't want to sit with blankets over our knees! My daughter once said she'd disown me if I ever bought a slanket. A nice cashmere throw maybe....

atticusclaw2 Tue 01-Nov-16 17:15:54

I bought heated throws for my grandparents and PIL last year. They went down very well. For my grandfather (in his 90s) it is a very cheap way to stay warm because you can keep it on for 7 hours for 1p.

We also have one here. Its one of my favourite things and everyone in the family tries to pinch it,

AndNowItsSeven Tue 01-Nov-16 17:21:40

Lakeland heated throws are amazing, I love mine.

atticusclaw2 Tue 01-Nov-16 17:25:13

They really are wonderful aren't they Seven smile. OP if you're interested the Lakeland ones can also be bought in Argos and on Amazon more cheaply.

Ceaser1981 Tue 01-Nov-16 19:38:07

Qvc have slankets with a foot picket too which looks good. www.qvcuk.com/The-Slanket-Indulgent-Wearable-Blanket-with-Handy-Pockets.product.805205.html?cm_sp=VIEWPOSITION-_-1-_-805205

Alternatively i recommend the large throws from primark, so soft and cosy. Maybe with a hot water bottle to match?

GETTINGLIKEMYMOTHER Tue 01-Nov-16 19:41:56

Lovely ones which I've bought as presents - very popular and well used - were from Edinburgh woollen mills - tartan on the outside with lovely cosy fleece on the inside.
I gave one to an elderly friend a couple of years ago and his wife liked it so much she went and bought another. Dd and her dh have one each.

CheeryPoinsettia Tue 01-Nov-16 19:46:42

Thank you everyone. Some great suggestions i'm off to look at heated throws. Thanks atticus.

I understand what people are saying about them being too young for old peoples throws but really their not. They already spend most of their day under a blanket and my only worry is why would they need another blanket? However heated throws sound fabulous. grin

GETTINGLIKEMYMOTHER Tue 01-Nov-16 19:46:48

Sorry, can't do links on iPad but the EWM ones are on their website as Sherpa Fleece rugs. Highly recommended for sheer, soft, light cosiness - they are £25 each and come in several different colour tartans.

LizzieMacQueen Tue 01-Nov-16 19:49:12

Johnston of Elgin have some lovely ones but they are pretty expensive.

link

slowandfrumpy Tue 01-Nov-16 19:55:21

I just bought a beautiful Irish wold blanket from Liberty for a young American woman. Mohair and Lambswood. Around 140 but I signed up for their mailing list and got 15 per cent off. Comes in a nice brand recognisable bag...

PotteringAlong Tue 01-Nov-16 20:29:17

www.thetravelwrapcompany.com

For luxury cashmere the travel wrap company might be worth looking at

Sixweekstowait Tue 01-Nov-16 21:14:41

After my holiday in Denmark which included much use of blankets sitting in cafes and outside in the garden in the evening, I bought three blankets from Scandanavian Designs - I'm snuggled in one now. The colours and patterns choice is amazing and they look nice when not in use and left in the room lying around - mine are lambs wool and cost about £40 each

Sixweekstowait Tue 01-Nov-16 21:17:08

www.scandinaviandesigncenter.com/Products/gbp1/Scandinavian_Fabrics/Blankets+%26+Throws

Pixie2015 Tue 01-Nov-16 21:23:38

TK maxx do lovely blankets and throws esp at Christmas time

DustOffYourHighestHopes Tue 01-Nov-16 21:44:33

Urbanara.

Great quality, v thick and don't bobble easily.

They have limited discounts in december in the run up to xmas.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now