John Lewis Advert

(114 Posts)
LaundryQueenHatesIroning Mon 31-Oct-16 13:19:20

Sorry if this has been done.

Does anyone know when they are planning on releasing other than 'early November'?

It was the first of November last year!

Anyone got any idea on what it might be?

LineyReborn Mon 31-Oct-16 13:25:54

Has anyone else noticed that JL customer service has become strangely erratic these days since they outsourced it to Capita (of all people)?

They can have all the cute and kitsch Xmas ads they want, but they've binned the very thing that used to set them apart from their rivals, and all for what?

Bah humbug.

MTWTFSS Mon 31-Oct-16 14:08:17

Published on Thursday 5 Nov 2015
Published on Friday 7 Nov 2014

We shall have to wait and see smile

JaneMumsnet (MNHQ) Wed 02-Nov-16 15:39:38

Hello

We at MNHQ have been talking about this too; you might have spotted that we ran a survey - just for fun - to ask you all to predict key elements of this year's JL ad. Thanks to everyone who took part. In case you fancy a look, here are the results.

All our googling research suggests that the ad is expected on the first Friday in November, as MTWTFSS says, so that's this Fri 4 Nov. Let's see how accurate our very scientific survey results are when the big day comes.

fsmile
MNHQ

usual Wed 02-Nov-16 15:43:21

I expect it will be another mawkish affair to sell some toy or other that sells out within days of the advert airing.

LineyReborn Wed 02-Nov-16 17:54:52

And meanwhile, when said toy doesn't work, you'll not be put through to John Lewis actually, but to a rude person from Capita pretending to work for John Lewis.

You know, the ones turning down children's disability claims.

MTWTFSS Wed 02-Nov-16 20:25:18

I bought a freeview+ box from JL. In less than a year it broke. I had to take it back to the store, they then sent it to the manufacturer and 3 weeks later I got it back.

I bought a mobile phone from Amazon. In less than a year it broke. Amazon refunded me via Amazon vouchers the same day so I could order another one, then the next day I sent back the faulty one via collect + and received my new phone.

LineyReborn Wed 02-Nov-16 20:46:54

To be honest, you might as well buy something down the bloody market as buy it from John Lewis these days.

Kirriemuir Thu 03-Nov-16 06:55:31

Last years advert came out at 8.30 am on Friday 6th November! I am going for same time tomorrow morning.

SymphonyofShadows Thu 03-Nov-16 09:24:59

I'm always shocked at how much they cost. I wish they would invest some of the squillions of quid on proper customer service staff.

LineyReborn Thu 03-Nov-16 09:48:03

Amazing, isn't it, Symphony? JL outsourced customer service to the cheapshit outfit that is Capita, ruining overnight a reputation for superior service that JL had carefully built up over decades. All for what?

They can stick their expensive quaint glossy Xmas ad. I'd rather have someone in customer services who didn't think their job was to rudely blame the purchaser for buying a shit product. Yes you, John Lewis. This is what you have become.

AnnoyedByAlfieBear Thu 03-Nov-16 09:54:49

The Oxford Street branch has a new window display to be unveiled on Monday, so my bet is on Sunday night to tie in with that.

theaveragewife Thu 03-Nov-16 09:58:46

I bet £100 there's a hatchimal in the advert!

AnnoyedByAlfieBear Thu 03-Nov-16 10:16:00

Just been announced that it's the 10th.

Judydreamsofhorses Thu 03-Nov-16 10:53:39

I think tomorrow is too early, and would have expected a trail or some social media presence before now if it was. Next Friday?

TipBoov Thu 03-Nov-16 10:59:11

Ahh that makes sense now! I thought JL customer service had gone down the pan last time I rang.

ILikeyourHairyHands Thu 03-Nov-16 11:13:11

I didn't know that about Capita, it explains the surly arse I encountered yesterday when I called to see why a refund for items I sent back three weeks ago had not yet been processed.

SymphonyofShadows Thu 03-Nov-16 11:31:27

That 'Man on the Moon' ad cost £7million. This year's is bound to be more. Pointless spending so much to entice customers in if you are going to treat them like shit.

Heirhelp Thu 03-Nov-16 11:36:52

Last time I was in they had lots of sausage dogs in there Christmas decorations. I am wondering if it is related.

LazySusan11 Thu 03-Nov-16 19:16:36

I'm not excited at all about this years JL advert. The last 3 years have been utter crap. Preferred the Mog advert from Sainsbury's.

Kirriemuir Thu 03-Nov-16 19:34:32

It's on Facebook 10th November and the tune is....I don't want to reveal so I'll not post.

LineyReborn Thu 03-Nov-16 19:39:01

If they want to mimic their customer services it'll be the theme tune from Watchdog.

LazySusan11 Thu 03-Nov-16 20:48:30

Come on kirrie! There's one doing the rounds but apparently it's not the actual advert.

crje Thu 03-Nov-16 22:50:53

Rumour has it the music is from Bowie.
I love the adds smile

smellylittleorange Thu 03-Nov-16 23:09:22

hope it is real Bowie not a cover. Would love a Bowie for Christmas No 1!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now