Does this present exist?

(12 Posts)
Asahai Wed 26-Oct-16 17:16:49

I'm trying to get something for my 5yo ds that he can take photos & edit them & play music - but nothing else! He has autism & screen time always equals meltdown so I don't want him to be able to access games, apps or YouTube etc.
Would an old iPhone do the trick or is there something else?
(Sorry this may seem a ridiculous question but I'm technology clueless!)

SideOrderofChip Wed 26-Oct-16 17:28:03

Dd1 has an iPad. You can lock
It down
Completely so they cants do
Anything bar what you leave on there

Enkopkaffetak Wed 26-Oct-16 17:32:06

Have a look at an Ipod (not pad) should likely do what you want.

Another suggestion is a smartphone

Both will need some parental controls put in though.

Asahai Thu 27-Oct-16 00:00:26

Didnt realise you could lockdown iPads like that thanks!
Will take a look at iPods now too - thank you.

OlennasWimple Thu 27-Oct-16 00:02:36

What sort of editing? The Kiddizoom camera takes pretty decent photos and you can add effects to them.

nancy75 Thu 27-Oct-16 00:05:13

You can just turn off the wifi on iPads and most phones, it will only do what you put on it.
An iPad might be a bit delicate for a 5 year old but I'm sure you can get other tablets that do a similar job ( probably cheaper too!)

nancy75 Thu 27-Oct-16 00:07:52

A quick google brings up an Amazon fire 7, it has a camera and is much cheaper than an iPad!

KC225 Thu 27-Oct-16 19:53:09

Another thing about Amazon Fire, you can download tons of things for free and just delete when not needed. Also has a child lock.

Also, my son smashed the screen rang up find out how to get it fixed and the advisor said have you knowingly dropped it, stood on it, or got it wet. I said he is 9 and is denying all knowledge of how it happened. The guy laughed, I laughed and he said in that case they would replace it for free. Put all his games on and sent a new one, as long as I returned the old smashed one they wouldn't charge me.

Asahai Fri 28-Oct-16 07:55:09

Yes by editing I mean effects - thanks will check out the kiddizoom.
Will look at the Amazon fire too - thanks nancy.
Kc225 that sounds good service - does your son have the kid version?

KC225 Fri 28-Oct-16 20:01:10

No, we don't have the kids one. The cheap one released last year for 49.99. There is a thread further up where people has listed more features

MooPointCowsOpinion Fri 28-Oct-16 20:02:35

Kiddizoom? It has a few lame games on but it's mostly about photos and videos.

Asahai Sat 05-Nov-16 10:06:39

Thank you all for the replies- I think I'll go for the fire although the camera is only 2mp - hope that'll be enough as he's obsessed with taking photos! Hmmm wonder if I need to get the 3 year old the same to prevent warfare! Is 3 and half (who thinks she is 10!) too young for a tablet?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now