Help me with my Christmas day eating-out issue? (Staffs/Cheshire)

(22 Posts)
RidiculousVehicle Tue 25-Oct-16 19:58:28

We're spending Christmas with inlaws. For reasons too tedious (and outing!) to relate, we need to find somewhere to have lunch out on Christmas day. There are two of us plus our 3 year old. We're not particularly fussy but would prefer not to go somewhere that is only doing a traditional Christmas meal as that's what we'll be having in the evening. Chinese or Indian perhaps. Does anywhere child-friendly on the Staffs/Cheshire border spring to mind, ideally near somewhere we can go for a walk or where there's a playground? I have spent ages online looking but don't know the area very well and all I can find is Christmas blowouts at £50 a head...

TheBathroomSink Tue 25-Oct-16 20:37:12

There's an Indian restaurant in Stoke called the Mango Tree, which is just down the road from Northwood Park, which has a play area for smaller children and really nice grounds to walk through. That's the most child-friendly-and-close-to-a-park one I can thing of, off the top of my head. There's a whole load of Indian restaurants in Stoke, though, so it depends if that's too far from wherever you're going to be.

RidiculousVehicle Tue 25-Oct-16 20:54:42

Thanks, that's really helpful - will check it out! Distance is no problem as we actually need to kill some time.

TheImprobableGirl Tue 25-Oct-16 21:17:09

Not sure if I would call Northwood park child friendly or beautiful- sorry. My dp is a born and bred stokie that's spent many many evenings in the Northwood. We were very regular bingo-ers on a Thursday with Barb grin

But Northwood park is only nice if you're coming from Abbey Houlton.... I really would avoid Stoke in general sorry sad

Also the mango tree is grim- sorry again. Potentially slightly better than alibabas where you could get a full Indian dinner and a drink for under a tenner

Namechangenurseryconcerns Tue 25-Oct-16 22:31:59

this is a fairly decent pub in Congleton with a biggish playground and next to the canal (down some steps) for a walk afterwards
I don't even know if they are open on Christmas Day but worth a look?

Namechangenurseryconcerns Tue 25-Oct-16 22:33:28

grin at Northwood park only seeming nice if you are coming from abbey Hulton!

Phineyj Thu 27-Oct-16 21:54:48

I am the OP. The relations in question live in Stoke so it can't be avoided! (Besides, when you live in Lewisham it gives you a different perspective...)

GerrardWinstanley Thu 27-Oct-16 22:43:03

A bit further away but the motorway should be quiet, the Cottage Restaurant in Warrington is open Christmas day . Indian or traditional and the prices are a bit more reasonable.

I don't know the circumstances but do you really need to put yourselves and your little one through this? It all sounds a bit grim.

anyoldname76 Thu 27-Oct-16 22:51:36

dont go the mango tree, last time i visited the food was vile, every curry tasted the same, the only difference was the luminous food colourings they used. the horn and trumpet has been done up, just your usual pub grub but they do have a little outdoor play area and a kids zone. you might be better off heading towards endon and leek way for nicer food.

anyoldname76 Thu 27-Oct-16 22:53:05

also the spice exchange in milton is nice

MrsMoggy Thu 27-Oct-16 23:53:15

Bombay Indian in Crewe really good but never been at Xmas. They do a traditional or Indian lunch. Also jalfrezi in Crewe who do an Indian buffet on the day as well as turkey etc. Crewe has a big park called Queen's Park with lake, play area etc.

TheBathroomSink Fri 28-Oct-16 14:24:06

You could try Ego at The Hollybush in Stockton Brook if you like Mediterranean (no idea if they are open at Christmas though), and the Spice Exchange is a good idea. Neither is close to a park or play area but both only 5-10 minute drive from Forest Park which has play areas and you can walk around the lake, or drive out towards Leek and go for a wander around Rudyard Lake.

Namechangenurseryconcerns Fri 28-Oct-16 16:06:14

Ego's got a play area

Phineyj Sun 30-Oct-16 17:44:55

Well, the alternative is hanging round in the relatives' house all day till Christmas 'lunch' at 5pm, while trying to entertain a 3 year old. I would put this in AIBU, but I know I'm not! I'd happily make lunch for them/us, but that's not allowed either! They're nice enough people, just very set in their ways. Will check out all your recommendations - thanks.

anyoldname76 Sun 30-Oct-16 18:18:40

i bet they are starving by 5pm if they have no lunch confused

kath6144 Mon 31-Oct-16 17:38:56

There are a number of Indian restaurants and a Chinese in Alsager, all good, no idea if they are open for xmas lunch, but I think at least one will be. Not too far from Stoke.

Search Latifs, Inidsn heaven, chinese garden

curlingandtwirling Tue 01-Nov-16 12:04:36

Try Thornbury Hall, not too far from Stoke, lovely grounds and food.

I'm also tempted myself. I'm putting my foot down this year and refusing to cook...again.

Phineyj Sat 05-Nov-16 21:12:33

(I am the OP, I seem to have a different username for every device now). I have booked the one in Warrington - thank you Gerrard. Hopefully DD will kip a bit on the motorway trip. Yes anyold I like to eat regularly and last time I was getting quite hangry by the time the (very good) food finally appeared and DD was beside herself! Honestly, if it weren't that DD adores her cousins and MIL isn't too well, I'd just say sod the lot of them.

(Happy about the curry though - I don't even like turkey all that much).

ffab Sun 06-Nov-16 08:36:45

Do you hate Christmas?
I come from a seriously dysfunctional and chaotic family. Rows would often come to a head at Christmas, with tears, people walking out and much worse. As a result I really hate the 'festive' time of year. I tried to make it fun for my children when they were growing up but it was hard.

Earlier this year I cut off contact with some family members as I realised I have been scapegoated and blamed for their problems which have nothing to do with me.

So Christmas will be small this year, just two DD's, DH and me. It's sad, I'll miss my extended family, they could be fun, for the first couple of hours before the rows start.

How does anyone else who dislikes Christians cope? How do you make this time of year fun for your family when it brings up such sad memories for you?

anyoldname76 Sun 06-Nov-16 09:29:43

think you've posted on the wrong thread ffab

ffab Sun 06-Nov-16 16:04:18

Oh sorry. I was trying to start a new thread. Not sure how to do that

anyoldname76 Sun 06-Nov-16 16:32:31

if you just go into the Christmas topic and start a new thread from there

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now