If you had a baby who mainly liked eating household items...

(21 Posts)
Mallowmarshmallow Mon 24-Oct-16 22:04:41

My DD will be 1 in January so I am looking for -a couple of- some presents for her.

She's very different to DS (3), and mainly enjoys eating paper, eating shoes, eating fluff she finds on the carpet and climbing....!

If forced to engage with toys, she will -eat- play with happyland people, matchbox cars and rattles.

We still have the standard baby toys; musical instruments, baby suitable vehicles, stacking cups etc.

Does anyone have any suggestions on what I can get for her?

Mallowmarshmallow Mon 24-Oct-16 22:06:04

Apologies for the strike through fails.
presumably I needed two dashes

Fruitboxjury Mon 24-Oct-16 22:08:42

My DD (1) was exactly like yours (older DS too), we didn't buy her much as she had his toys to play with but her favourite birthday presents were a caterpillar with zips and buckles all over for her to do up / undo, and a baby annabel doll. Still her favourite toys nearly a year later.

cosmicglittergirl Mon 24-Oct-16 22:09:05

I see you have Happyland: my 18 month old is obsessed with her sister's Happyland bus.
Walker? The V-tech one is good.

cosmicglittergirl Mon 24-Oct-16 22:10:41

Or those locks and chains puzzle things.
www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B0026ZPTYY/ref=mp_s_a_1_2/256-1148657-4283947?ie=UTF8&qid=1477343398&sr=8-2&pi=SX200_QL40&keywords=melissa+and+doug&dpPl=1&dpID=51DDP%2Br886L&ref=plSrch

My DD also loves her dolly.

eurochick Mon 24-Oct-16 22:12:49

Toy food? I think ikea do a basket of things that is probably quite chewable.

SpeckledyBanana Mon 24-Oct-16 22:17:05

Some tinsel to ruffle (under close supervision). DD loved it grin

glacialseafoam Mon 24-Oct-16 22:19:14

Sounds like DS! We've just brought some vtech toot toot vehicles and a garage. They're noisy but he loves them. He's 9m, has had a few little vehicles now and has more and garage stashed for xmas. They were so cheap in Sainsbury's sale, they still have a few here.

Fruitboxjury Mon 24-Oct-16 22:27:01

One more - the leapfrog picnic basket

VikingLady Mon 24-Oct-16 22:30:45

A space blanket (pound shops) and he swiped rubberised tongs from our kitchen. Brill for teething!

DD was obsessed with a black plastic spaghetti server/stirrer. We bought her one of her own.

ChishandFips33 Mon 24-Oct-16 22:36:06

Have a google of treasure baskets and heuristic play - it sounds like she's going through a very sensory phase

And yes to the space blanket!

Beach ball - she might like chasing it and it's light enough not to cause damage

ChishandFips33 Mon 24-Oct-16 22:38:12

Pinterest is good too

lostlalaloopsy Tue 25-Oct-16 07:46:32

This sounds a lot like my dd last year!! We got her a toy pram and doll which she still loves. But the biggest hit was a pair of pink, sparkly Peppa wellies!! She loves taking them on and off!!

unicornsarenotjustforchristmas Tue 25-Oct-16 07:50:36

She sounds a bit like my ds(9months) he has a load of colourful musical flashing plastic toys and he as no interest in any of them! Would rather be eating my shoes or loading/unloading the washing machine and eating dust . He does however like balls, and crawling through tunnels so I'll be getting him a ball pit and tent/tunnel playset

Shemozzle Tue 25-Oct-16 16:46:36

Make up a couple of treasure baskets. 1 traditional one with things like sponges, different fabrics, loofah, wooden spoon, large shells etc and 1 with household items like a broken camera (eBay) remote control, old wires (scart cables, old camera cables etc) a bunch of keys on a springy keyring (buy them uncut from a key cutters) a roll of sellotape, and an insulated foil blanket.

NeverNic Tue 25-Oct-16 22:51:46

Buy something she can grow into. Last year we bought our then 13mth old a wooden farm, then bought him the Happy land farm animals rather than the proper ones to go with it. Its been great for him and his brother to share. Equally the toy trolley and till have been very popular. I'd also suggest more happyland sets or duplo. They've really become popular in the last 3-4mths

My youngest won't play with anything that is meant for his age. The baby toys barely got a look in. My eldest though was only interested in real things. A bowl and a wooden spoon kept him happy. Though he loved the toot toot stuff.

The other idea would be a summer toy - a slide or something for the garden, like the water tables

Dinosaursgoboo Tue 25-Oct-16 23:27:25

I like the B range of toys. The car keys, bath boat and wacky ball run thing are all lovely (and what my baby is getting for Christmas).

Mallowmarshmallow Wed 26-Oct-16 12:39:11

Thanks all. There's some really good ideas here.

WantAnOrange Fri 28-Oct-16 08:00:07

I was going to say make a treasure basket too. Or some sensory bottles.

MothersGrim Fri 28-Oct-16 08:17:35

I made treasure basket for DS when he was 10 months old at Christmas. He loved it!

attheendoftheday Fri 28-Oct-16 19:00:28

When dd2 was around that age dd1 (then age 3) insisted she wanted a silicon pastry brush for Christmas. I got one to humour her and it turned out to be her most used thing.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now