Vintage decorations

(9 Posts)
Shemozzle Sat 22-Oct-16 14:31:47

I love vintage Christmas decorations! Little wooden soldiers and felt flocked deers. Some tacky foil garlands and multi coloured fairy lights with those petal plastic covers. Anyone else?

I've just bought a load from an attic sale and I was just so sad that the family were selling them for so cheap. All those memories. Just me? One year when I was about 10, I was so excited to decorate the tree ready for a big nostalgia dose of all our home made and old mix of 60's-80's decorations when my mum said she'd binned them all and replaced with all matching ugly plain ones from B&Q. sad

So maybe that's why I like them.

ClashCityRocker Sat 22-Oct-16 14:35:05

I love them too.

When I moved out my mum gave me a load from when her and DF got married but they got lost in a subsequent move. I was gutted.

Much better then boring old matchy-matchy ones.

Chottie Sat 22-Oct-16 14:36:58

I love them too. I have some decorations dating back to before WWII. I love thinking about the different generations of my family hanging them on their Christmas trees through the decades. I'm going to pass them on to DC.

FlamingoFling Sat 22-Oct-16 14:37:53

My parents did similar.

Growing up the most exciting thing was getting the weird and wonderful mix of decorations out to decorate the tree. My sisters and I would fight over who out their favourites on the tree grin

I love an eclectic tree full of memories. Every year the DC chose a new decoration for the tree and I love them all piled on

AFingerofFudge Sat 22-Oct-16 16:07:04

I have an old (probably 1970) Farley's Rusk box from when I was a child with our old decorations in it. Each of them is wrapped in toilet paper from that decade(!) My mum died on Christmas Day when I was 14, so they hold poignant memories for me. Every year when I am decorating our tree I get them out and look at them and hold them but don't put them on our tree as somehow it's just a bit too painful. But I do love looking at them.

Just as a postscript, the Farley's Rusk box itself is hilarious. It has instructions about adding rusks to your baby's bottle shock

LozzaChops101 Sat 22-Oct-16 16:19:13

I love them too! I have a couple of my great great grandmother's (apparently late Victorian-ish but I don't really know) - a painted glass bauble with burnt and a beaten silver heart-shaped bauble. I also have some wooden ones from the 70s and 80s. I mix them up with modern ones that I can't resist buying. I don't know why I still love Christmas, my family never really bothered with it when I was growing up - can't wait to be able to do my own Christmas some day haha.

Soupandasandwich Sat 22-Oct-16 16:31:34

I love old Christmas decorations. We buy a couple of new ones every Christmas, which means the oldest ones on our tree are getting on for 40 years old now. Our decorations are often purchased as holiday souvenirs, so each on invokes memories - 'do you remember...? ' I was very upset after my Nan died, to find that all her old decorations had been thrown away. They held some special memories from when I was a child and I would have loved to have had a few on my tree. So that year I bought a decoration I knew she would have loved and I always make sure it is placed where I can easily see it from the seat where I usually sit. Even that is a few years old now. sad

flapjackfairy Sat 22-Oct-16 21:13:12

Oh finger how sad for you to have that happen to you as a 14 yr old! I got tearful just reading it!
Lozza i hope you get your own wonderful christmas soon .
I also love traditional decorations and refuse to change my colour scheme or style of tree although i do try and add a couple of new ones each yr. I love unpacking my decorations . They are like old friends to me and bring back so many memories.

Yamadori Sat 22-Oct-16 21:20:11

Some of our tinsel is probably 60+ years old, and it just smells... of Christmas. Nothing like it, and modern tinsel just doesn't smell the same at all.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now