Christmas Decorating 'Trends' .....what's "In For 2016"

(34 Posts)
70isaLimitNotaTarget Mon 17-Oct-16 21:32:53

Not that I follow trends y'know ...fgrin

Last year, loads of people did their front doors (if they had a solid wood or solid white UPVC) with a ribbon hoizontal/vertical and a bow to look like a wrapped presnt.

One year was those amber warm golden tree lights

Before we had bright white (all white) lights

Icicle lights

Blue lights

Teal/Silver/Blue

Trees of colours other than green..black, red, silver, white

Candle arches

Nordic

Stags and Plaids (I'm having this year)

Last year, everything had pugs on it .

Soooooo, what's "In" ?

PoppyPicklesPenguin Mon 17-Oct-16 21:37:18

I hate these Christmas trends smile

I always have red and gold, just feels all warm and Christmassy to me smile

But I do love stags! I have been buying stags for years - I have a stag nutcracker and two sets of stag candle holders which are adorable IMO.

I'm keen to hear what others think about the trends or if they just go with their own traditions year in year out!

I just don't know why if you don't like dogs or don't own a pug why on earth you would decorate your house with pugs because they were on trend.

TheWoollybacksWife Mon 17-Oct-16 21:39:49

In my <ahem> extensive research there seems to be a lot of copper coloured lights and decorations. The woodland theme is still big and I've also seen a lot of peacock/jewel coloured decorations.

Mine will be red, gold and ivory like they have been since forever fgrin

wowwee123 Mon 17-Oct-16 21:40:29

things made from twigs seem to be this years theme.

copper wire lights. twig hanging trees.

ours is pretty neutral, champagnes, pale pins with some classic glass baubles thrown in. a star net for the window and the odd ornament.

my parents is like santas grotto with no rules or regulations completely tacky and i bloody love it. that's christmas to me.

Voteforpedr0 Mon 17-Oct-16 21:42:41

Fairly traditional is what I can see in all the articles I've read so far. We will however be going for the mishmashed look as always, things we've collected over the years that the dc love seeing year after year. I don't like schemes but I think that's because I love the 80s santas grotto look.

Palomb Mon 17-Oct-16 21:43:19

Red green and gold with coloured soft
lights, same as every year grin

I don't like Christmas to be too trendy.

70isaLimitNotaTarget Mon 17-Oct-16 21:52:47

fgrin

I did buy some of the golden warm lights (well, DH did, on eBay) they had a white cable and they were Orange fhmm

I have noticed a fair bit of Twiggy Shit around come to think of it...

I do red/green/gold/silver/clear/bronze.
No lairy pinks or teals.

Copper sounds nice though..........

70isaLimitNotaTarget Mon 17-Oct-16 21:54:09

Are present wrapped doors ok or utterly naff?

I have a wreath, don't think my door could handle both wreath and ribbons.

MothersGrim Mon 17-Oct-16 22:21:13

Yes yes to copper and woodland. Less knitted than previous years, more soft cashmere-esq.

I'm thinking luxurious earthy tones, browns and caramels etc.

yomellamoHelly Tue 18-Oct-16 06:31:27

Anyone seen the "felted" decorations (usually animals)? Seen those in quite a few places (maybe because I love them).

legotits Tue 18-Oct-16 06:48:19

I love to see a themed display but at home it's all about the memories for me.

Any old stuff that's passed down.
Artistic collection of novelty and cheesy baubles collected from everywhere and bought purely for novelty or cheese value.
Chinese paper lantern x 400 on every downstairs ceiling because the Chinese takeaway did decoration so much better that we copied em in the 80s.
Paper chains to keep me fit repinning also easier than dusting
Massive nativity with all the extras including Darth Vader, Garfield and a ninja turtle.

Our tree is only finished when it looks like Captain Caveman.

We don't have tasteful at Christmas, Baby Jesus's and Garfield wouldn't like it grin

wowwee123 Tue 18-Oct-16 07:59:06

ooohhh my parents is sooooo 80's!!!

im debating bright coloured lights for our tree this year (warm white ones broke) but cant decide whether they will spoil the 'nice' baubles.

sonlypuppyfat Tue 18-Oct-16 08:07:04

Nothing matches on my tree it's just lots of little figures that my dcs have picked out over the years it's beautiful

Kittykatmacbill Tue 18-Oct-16 08:32:37

I like Christmas themed Christmas tree. We get a couple new decorations (well 3 - both dds and I pick one each), we tend steer toward red, white with grey and felty and Nordic over sparkly. It's quite cosy...grin

Christmas is about your family and what you can afford and want.

Ps I think that that parcel doors are a bit naff (unless it is immaculate and huge, i.e. Done by Martha Stuart), but wreaths are always glorious!

Polkadotties Tue 18-Oct-16 09:45:38

I've seen lots of blushed pink and rose gold baubles this year

TheFuckitBuckit Tue 18-Oct-16 10:53:36

I've noticed that the woodland, rustic, tartan and stag themes to be predominant this year.

I have had warm white lights for years indoors and out. My living room tree is themed gold/bronze/brown/cream. Kitchen tree red/green/white.

But am seriously hankering after an 80s retro tree of my childhood where absolutely anything goes but haven't got room for another tree, so am possibly going to do this in the kitchen this year (I bought coloured last last week-so it's a start!) but am such a snob with my trees I literally need to take the stick out of my arse and just go for it!!!

TheFuckitBuckit Tue 18-Oct-16 10:54:37

*coloured lights

SymphonyofShadows Tue 18-Oct-16 11:35:20

This sneaked on to my tree last year. My friend made it and I may ask if she'll make me some more. The tree is mainly silver & greens and a bit of gold with soft white lights. I try and buy a few things each year but I haven't seen anything I like yet. I would like a Jack Skellington head as a tree topper though.

MarklahMarklah Tue 18-Oct-16 11:52:20

Since we moved ( a few years ago), we have room for a bigger tree, so I try to keep to themes for that. I do try to ensure that I incorporate ornaments that have special meaning though.
Looks as though I'm going to be "on fleek" this year, or whatever it is that the young people say.

wowwee123 Tue 18-Oct-16 12:37:40

oh good im swaying to the lights.

SymphonyofShadows Tue 18-Oct-16 13:03:17

Fuckit I put some coloured lights on a twiggy thing i dragged in from the garden last year in my kitchen and hung bright decs on it that I got in the previous year's sale. It was very 'jewel colours' and got a lot of compliments.

Iguessyourestuckwithme Tue 18-Oct-16 13:06:13

Owls and lots of them from what I saw at the garden centre

HairsprayBabe Tue 18-Oct-16 14:30:31

I always think JohnLewis are in the know about christmas trends,
So far this year I have seen

Woodland/hunting lodge chic
Imperial russian/faberge
whimsical/candyland animals/characters
alpine/scandinavian
Traditional red/gold/green
Black and gold

I love the imperial russian look but I only just rebought a load of decks last year in the woodland style so I will stick with that for this year getting a second tree upstairs this year that is getting a red and white scandi look with a candyland twist.

I love interior design so I get very invested even though it is totally frivolous!

NameChangeDrama Tue 18-Oct-16 17:04:15

Unicorns are this year's pugs

ChippyMinton Tue 18-Oct-16 18:32:33

I was eying up some Faberge egg style baubles in M&S. And some shiny vintage glass baubles with the fluted indentation.

I don't do trends though. The DC and I each choose a new decoration every year, and we have MIL's collection circa 1960s Woolworths! Plus I have a large collection of plain-ish baubles in different colours - red, green, turquoise, pink, purple - and metallic, and choose a colour scheme from these each year e.g. red & gold, red green & purple, blue & copper.

And tinsel - gorgeous German tinsel. Strings of shiny beads. Lametta in matching colours.
And sometimes warm white lights, sometimes soft-coloured, sometimes Friesian cows (!)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now