Roasted carrots & parsnips.. Help!

(13 Posts)
PopcornFiend Sun 16-Oct-16 16:42:55

Really boring, sorry!

So, my method of roast carrots is pretty simple.. chop into batons, onto baking tray, drizzle of veg oil, salt & pepper, into oven for 40-50 mins.

However they always seem to come out kind of greasy. They taste fine, but I'm sure I'm going wrong somewhere despite following what I thought was a standard method. At Christmas I'll be doing parsnips with the carrots and I just want them to come out nice and slightly crisp, soft in the middle. Not greasy/oily.

Would goose fat work better? Any tips appreciated.

Northernlurker Sun 16-Oct-16 16:49:47

Definitely not goose fat. Try using an oil spray. I just did some parsnips like this and they were by far the best I've ever done.

TeaBelle Sun 16-Oct-16 16:53:14

I'd boil for 5 mins first before roasting

exLtEveDallas Sun 16-Oct-16 16:53:41

I par boil then put into a dish of already boiling oil (the same as I do for roast potatoes). They come out crisp and a couple of dabs with kitchen roll takes off the excess oil

FreezerBird Sun 16-Oct-16 16:54:14

Definitely heat the oil first I reckon.

TwentyCups Sun 16-Oct-16 16:54:47

Roast them with no oil, just golden syrup, no grease just sweet roasted deliciousness!

PosiePootlePerkins Sun 16-Oct-16 16:56:17

I always par boil carrots and parsnips just for 5 mins before roasting. Drain them and wait for steam to disappear. Piping hot oil (I use olive or sunflower) in a good non stick roasting tray. You really don't need much, just a splash, if its sizzling then it will be fine. Wack in oven for 30 mins or so.

TondelayaDellaVentamiglia Sun 16-Oct-16 16:56:22

i have a tray in today!

I peel and slice, into a pan, up to the boil, drain off the water and let them sit in the hot pan, then onto a tray to dry...today I have thrown on some thyme sprigs and some olive oil and then into the oven.

Must go look at them and give them a shimmy about.

Somerville Sun 16-Oct-16 17:07:00

Batons too thin. I just chop a medium carrot into 4 chunks.

PopcornFiend Sun 16-Oct-16 17:09:38

Thanks all. Will try par boiling next time and straight into hot oil in tin.

Syrup sounds amazing too!

CremeBrulee Sun 16-Oct-16 17:22:58

No need to par boil! Use a better quality olive oil and not too much of it with a little smoked sea salt & black pepper sprinkled over.

TwentyCups Sun 16-Oct-16 17:57:45

Once you try golden syrup you never go back! wink

dalmatianmad Sun 16-Oct-16 17:59:20

Oil spray!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now