When would you go to this activity?

(4 Posts)
Peopleplease Thu 06-Oct-16 11:46:22

I'm overthinking I know but please indulge me!

DD is 3 and this is the first year she has an understanding of Santa.
At the end of November there's a Christmas parade in a nearby town. It's quite a big deal and then the lights are turned on. We're taking DD this year and we're staying the night in a hotel as we have a gift card.

DH just sent me an email about a popular 'meet Santa' experience in the same town. Now it's expensive and I think she might be a little young BUT if we were to go when would be best to go?

The day after the parade so it's kind of a big Christmas weekend or later in the month so it's more spread out? The distance isn't really a factor, we're only staying because of the gift card - it's about a 30 min drive from home.

The minor complication is I'm due on 22nd December - so I wouldn't leave it too late just in case.

BiddyPop Thu 06-Oct-16 12:32:02

Personally, I'd be inclined to spread them out a little.

Especially if the parade is busy enough itself.

Without making it too much a "shopping trip" too, it gives you a second opportunity to do any bits and pieces around the 2 events, and not have too much stress of "we need to be X place by Y time" or DD whining about "when is Santa". (Not that either needs to happen, but you have less chance of it happening if things are more spread out).

It also makes the most of your and DD's energies.

My personal inclination would be that the weekend of the parade, go, enjoy the night out, do a few bits of shopping or whatever on the following day, and enjoy a nice lunch/hot chocolate and buns stop somewhere, and head home at a reasonable hour.

Then, whatever day you do the Santa event, go and do that, grab any other bits you wanted, another nice family meal together, and again head home at a reasonable hour. If timings suit, it might be nice to head home slightly after dark so DD can see the lights again, if everyone is still up for that (but I would have it planned but don't tell DD about the possibility in case anyone of the 3 of you has had enough and you need to leave earlier).

By being less pressured also, you have a chance for DD to look at things she might want to get for DGPs or if she wants to get a present for her new sibling.

And you might use the excuse of being in a toyshop for other things (new sibling, presents for other DCs in the wider family, a "giving tree" present or whatever, lots of toy shops also have new baby sections for equipment that might need to be bought even if only 1 extra bib/bottle for show!) to look at what she really loves on the 1st trip, and an opportunity is likely to then come up over the course of the rest of that and the other (or a separate one where DD is not with you) for 1 of the parents to slip back for the bestest thing ever, while the other minds and distracts DD (ooh, Daddy just had to go put some extra money in the car meter, or Mummy had to go and get a card for DNanna, or whatever).

Peopleplease Thu 06-Oct-16 15:39:23

Thanks Biddy!!

Peopleplease Fri 07-Oct-16 08:14:27

DH came home last night and had booked the tickets for the next day! It'll be great anyway.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now