Housewarming a week for Christmas

(11 Posts)
Star2015 Wed 05-Oct-16 22:47:36

Hi everyone,

We're planning a housewarming on Sat 17th December... We will let people know maybe the beginning of November so they can decide whether to attend or if there's another event they are going to that's fine being so close to Christmas.

I'm trying to decide what kind of buffet to do... I originally thought maybe steering away from the classic Christmas buffet of meats, cheeses, bread etc and put a huge bowl of slow cooker chilli on the go with potato wedges, rice and nachos that kind of thing but DH isn't keen.

We'd be starting the house warming early for the elderly relatives who don't want to be out too late so say 4.30pm/5.00pm and then until late for our friends and younger family members.

During the housewarming I don't want to spend loads of time in the kitchen so we need to do something that's going to keep well that people can help themselves to...

Any ideas? Suggestions?

We're going to be catering for maybe 50 people?

Thanks mumsnetters smile

Star2015 Wed 05-Oct-16 22:48:03

Sorry title should read before Christmas..! blush

ImperialBlether Wed 05-Oct-16 22:48:53

If there are 50 people and they're mostly standing, you need food they can pick up easily, don't you? Not many people want to eat chilli standing up.

TiffanyAtBreakfast Thu 06-Oct-16 02:30:51

What about mini burgers / sausages in baps? You can cook a big batch up ready, pop them on a platter and guests can choose their toppings from the table, wrap in a napkin and eat standing up with minimal effort.

SushiRocks Thu 06-Oct-16 06:57:21

I think a chilli bar is a great idea. People can put the chilli in paper cups/ mugs to make it easier to carry around. You can put loads of stuff out to top the chilli with like nachos, cheese, herbs, cornbread. Put some hot dogs out as well and people can make chilli dogs

Star2015 Thu 06-Oct-16 07:30:42

Thanks!

Yes people would be standing mainly although I would hope people would come
and go given it would be an open house from 4.30pm..

Off to Pinterest to google chilli bars...

Thank you smile

LizzieMacQueen Thu 06-Oct-16 09:17:46

What would your DH prefer, has he said?

How about stovies or curry with the rice already mixed through it (forget what that's called) then it can be easily eaten with only a fork.

Star2015 Thu 06-Oct-16 19:02:48

Yes Lizzie he thinks a more traditional buffet such as cut meats and cheeses would be better.

Is it Biriyani the curry? Xx

smellylittleorange Thu 06-Oct-16 19:53:11

For New Years Eve I'm doing lots of med style bits, crostini, antipasti, olives, pasta salads etc with pizzas (Am getting delivered as don't want to work too hard lol ) would something like that work?

Star2015 Thu 06-Oct-16 20:20:44

Yes sounds good orange where are you ordering them from? X

Girlforallseasons Thu 06-Oct-16 21:05:52

I did a chilli bar once and it was tasty but even though I'd prepped it all way in advance, it still felt like quite a lot of work whilst the party was under way. Rice for 50 for example is quite a tall order. I'd be tempted to stick to things you can just put out rather that have to cook. Also, I'd consider sending out invites sooner rather than later as people do seem to get super booked up in December.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now