Book Advent Ideas

(13 Posts)
Vistaverde Wed 05-Oct-16 13:06:52

I am looking for some suggestions for new titles to add to my almost 6 year old DS's book advent. Especially interested in titles that would suit a child who is slightly older and will last for the next few years. Books which he has enjoyed previously include.

Alfie's Christmas
The Jolly Christmas Postman
The Grinch
The Snowman
The Empty Stocking
Father Christmas
Father Christmas Goes on Holiday
The Nativity Play
Mog's Christmas
Mr Christmas
Alien's Love Pantaclause
Kipper's Christmas Eve

Thank you.

Tiggles Wed 05-Oct-16 13:15:41

Tolkein's father Christmas letters are great and would definitely last. They are the letters he sent his children each year from Father Christmas and tell tales of the polar bear, goblins and elves. We read one/two a day through advent and then I write my own version for the boys for Christmas Day (obviously not up to tolkein's standard but based on his characters)

Vistaverde Wed 05-Oct-16 22:49:54

Thank you. That looks lovely and I think DS would really like it.

Popsicle789 Wed 05-Oct-16 23:16:15

There's a new book by Tom fletcher
www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/0141373326/ref=ox_sc_act_image_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE

Vistaverde Thu 06-Oct-16 12:37:12

Thanks I'll have a look. Hopefully, it will be better than the dinosaur who pooped Christmas.

abear Thu 06-Oct-16 12:39:53

Polar Express

Myfanwyprice Thu 06-Oct-16 12:48:07

The best Christmas present in the world and on angel wings both by Michael morpurgo, both really lovely stories.

Tiggles Thu 06-Oct-16 13:19:22

Ooh yes I love On Angel Wings!

SprogletsMum Thu 06-Oct-16 13:22:01

The night before Christmas is my favourite, we have a beautifully illustrated version and it will last for years.

pyjamasonbananas Thu 06-Oct-16 13:24:01

there are loads of past threads about this - do do a search! I LOVE advent books, and we all love getting them out each year.
Am struggling to remember the real favourites though.
Harvey Schumfenberger (John Burningham) - may be a little young?
Box of Delights (for a bit later)
Emily Sutton's beautiful Christmas Tree book from last year
Jeanette Winterson's christmas story (can't remember the name)

Heavenscent86 Thu 06-Oct-16 14:21:15

Can anyone recommend any shorter Christmassy stories for a 9 year old that might be suitable for a book advent? Sorry to jump on the thread vista.

Vistaverde Fri 07-Oct-16 08:34:10

Thank you for all the replies. Lot of suggestions to have a look more closely at. I had forgotten about On Angels Wings so thanks for the reminder.

I was wondering about the Horrible Christmas book but not sure whether DS will be a bit young yet?

itsonlysubterfuge Fri 07-Oct-16 09:27:17

They have loads of Christmas books available on The Book People and they have 20% off with the voucher code SAVE20 .

The Works also have lots of Christmas Books available in there 10 for £10 sale.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now