Ideas for what to put in a toy doctor's bag

(44 Posts)
NotSayingImBatman Mon 03-Oct-16 19:04:58

DS1 (will be nearly 5 at Christmas) has decided he wants to be a doctor. Well, actually he wants to be an astronaut, but he's quite like to be the physician on space missions, as long as they still let him walk on the moon.

He's been eyeing up toy doctors kits but they look a) babyish and b) like they'd fall to bits. So, I had the bright idea of making him one containing real medical items. I've bought him a children's size working stethoscope, a penlight and some bandages and plasters but can anyone think of anything else and, more importantly, what to present it in?

swooosh Mon 03-Oct-16 19:07:05

Syringes (medicine giving ones), med boxes you could fill with smarties for each day, reflex hammer, thermometer?

JosephineMaynard Mon 03-Oct-16 19:09:41

Could you buy a first aid kit to put the bits in?

Plus you might get a few more bits and pieces (extra bandages, plasters etc) with the first aid kit.

LineyReborn Mon 03-Oct-16 19:12:43

A small junior doctor's contract that he can burn in front of Parliament.

The blood pressure monitors are fun. And possibly harmless. Except when wrapped around the throat of a small mammal or sibling.

wobblywonderwoman Mon 03-Oct-16 19:12:47

Great idea

surgical masks
Oxygen mask
Clipboard and pen (maybe stickers)
Tablet bottles (sweets instead of tablets)

I would get a leather bag (black or brown) to put the equipment in. I wonder can you get something with sound effects for fun& like heartbeat, siren etc

Lovewatchingrainfall Mon 03-Oct-16 19:13:05

My daughter is only 3 but one thing she moans about is that her doctors bag does not have a chart, so could you maybe buy or make a patient chart? A thermometer is a good idea and maybe a blood pressure cuff? Not sure if you can get real ones or toy one. Syringes are a good idea too.

MumiTravels Mon 03-Oct-16 19:14:54

Slings. Thermometer. Pretend drip. Syringes. Empty strepsils box. Plastic medicine spoons.

You can order oxygen masks and tubing online too.

MumiTravels Mon 03-Oct-16 19:16:01

Go to a boot sale and find an old briefcase or leather tote. Like a gp would have.

He'll also need some scrubs.

LineyReborn Mon 03-Oct-16 19:16:56

Not sure about the sweets as tablets thing. Sweets are sweets, tablets are dangerous. Now I need to cower in my po-faced shame. Sorry.

HelenaJustina Mon 03-Oct-16 19:18:29

Hmmm place marking... I did a school/teacher one of these for DC3 last year and it is possibly the most played with toy ever.

mycatstares Mon 03-Oct-16 19:18:53

Such a good idea!

Real Plasters and bandages
Small torch to check mouths and ears!
Real thermometer
Clipboard and pen
Children's scrubs and doctor outfit

I'm sure I've seen a doctor's pop up tent somewhere too...

MumiTravels Mon 03-Oct-16 19:18:57

You can print charts from the internet, for blood pressure. Pain. Pretend prescriptions.

I hope my DS wants to play these games as he gets older (I'm a nurse).

Flanderspigeonmurderer Mon 03-Oct-16 19:20:24

A little white coat

dingalong Mon 03-Oct-16 19:23:25

My dd used to love wrapping gauze bandages on all her soft toys - got them in aldi cheaply. Nice plasters, the syringes they give for kids medicine (they'll give them if you ask.
Dd got lovely Melissa and dog scrubs.
I got dd a vet tent which she used, I'm sure there's a doctor equivalent.

dingalong Mon 03-Oct-16 19:27:39

This looks fun

dingalong Mon 03-Oct-16 19:28:29

Dd has this

NotSayingImBatman Mon 03-Oct-16 19:33:20

I'm having so much fun on amazon with this!

I ADORE that little Ikea trolley!

dingalong Mon 03-Oct-16 19:36:04

www.ikea.com/ie/en/products/storage-furniture/bathroom-storage/draggan-trolley-silver-colour-art-70245594/

attheendoftheday Mon 03-Oct-16 19:36:10

I did similar for my 5yo dd. I put in:
Real stethoscope
Real thermometer
Real blood pressure monitor.
Crepe bandages
Triangular bandage
Big box of plasters
Syringes
Reflex hammer
Printed off pintrest prescription forms and body charts on a little clipboard.

I put it all in a vintage first aid box off ebay. It gets played with a lot.

attheendoftheday Mon 03-Oct-16 19:37:35

Also a face mask, an empty alcohol gel pump bottle with water in and some empty pill bottles.

BikeRunSki Mon 03-Oct-16 19:43:23

A peg/clip of some kind to use as a oxygen thing they clip on your ginger. I don't know the name, but you know what I mean.

redcaryellowcar Mon 03-Oct-16 19:46:34

You can get a dressing up set of scrubs. Ds (5 yrs) has a first aid kit (fabric with a handle) which was around £6 from Amazon, it's full of plasters and lengths of tubi grip, which has a similar effect to a bandage bit easier to apply. He has a younger (2yrs) brother for whom the tubi grip is much safer as I fear they would bandage each other's throats?

NotSayingImBatman Mon 03-Oct-16 19:46:44

Oh yes Bike! I know what you mean - well, assuming you meant finger. No one has ever clipped anything to my ginger either in or out of a medical setting grin

ilovewelshrarebit123 Mon 03-Oct-16 19:47:24

I got a real stethoscope off eBay for £4, my DD loves it!

BikeRunSki Mon 03-Oct-16 19:48:54

Lol!!! Finger, yes!

Tongue depressors?

A tiny mirror on a stick - that's a bit more dental really, but there is a toy one in my dc's toy dr kit.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now