Im going to save you all £4.99.

(15 Posts)
A1Sharon Mon 03-Oct-16 18:21:11

I bought Simply Christmas, a christmas magazine today.
Got kids to school, did walk, did shopping, tidied house, washing out...
Settled down to enjoy some festive crap, and I've bought these things before so know its pretty much the same shite every year, but still.
It is utter dross.
For a start it has 90 something pages. GH has 275 a month, to give a comparison. It was just full of crap, not particularly inspiring table settings,average trees but no mention of where the decorations came from, no gift wrapping ideas.
Crap craft ideas-the kind that might feature heavily on a sparkly shite selling page.
Mediocre food.
Rubbish gift ideas.
And all for £4.99.
Save your money.

RhinestoneCowgirl Mon 03-Oct-16 18:23:21

No longer buy magazines, they're always disappointing sad

ShesAStar Mon 03-Oct-16 18:24:00

Thank you! I would probably have bought it and now I won't! I'll stick to Country Living, always has a good Christmas edition.

teablanket Mon 03-Oct-16 18:27:12

Thank you! I almost picked it up this morning, I was almost certainly going to go back and get it tomorrow.

EdithWeston Mon 03-Oct-16 18:29:47

Thanks!

I'm turning into my mother, by buying (and keeping) GH Christmas editions!

I do sometimes get others (or nick her Primas for craft ideas), and it's always useful to get reviews.

BrieAndChilli Mon 03-Oct-16 18:31:25

I subscribe to Readily for £8 a month. Can access it on my phone and tablet.
Has tonnes of magazines on there including all the main ones - cosmo, good housekeeping, essentials, gossip and soap mags, national geographic, health and fitness magazines, kids magazines, numerous car/boat/caravan mags, Xbox and other gaming mags, take a break and other such types. There's loads and loads and I was spending at least £20 a month before.

thatwouldbeanecumenicalmatter Mon 03-Oct-16 19:02:59

Thanks for the tip Sharon that does indeed sound crap, mind you GH is full of adverts I suspect a good third of it is advertising.

Brie I've just had a look at that - it sounds fab - there's got to be a catch though!?! really hoping there isn't though as the kids titles alone are expensive subscriptions

BrieAndChilli Mon 03-Oct-16 19:12:04

No catch! We've subscribed for nearly a year now I think and we all have our own profile with favourites etc and had no problems. You can also download to read offline (a godsend for waiting for kids to come out of school in no phone signal village!)
I wouldn't buy half the magazines as too expensive but I will read them via the app.

BrieAndChilli Mon 03-Oct-16 19:13:02

It's a bit like Spotify or Netflix but for magazines!

Floralnomad Mon 03-Oct-16 19:17:29

Thanks for that review of Readily brie , I was looking at it the other day and wondering if it was something worth going for , when it says you can share does it have to be people all in the same house / same surname or could my sister share my account ?

BrieAndChilli Mon 03-Oct-16 19:24:57

Umm i think it is supposed to be people in your household but..... I can't see any reason why you couldn't give your sister your login details...winkblush

wobblywonderwoman Mon 03-Oct-16 19:25:53

Thank You brie

I agree with keeping old copies and bringing them out every year. Just if anyone is looking for table setting ideas - I bought a beautiful table runner from sainsbury (vintage looking, cream with robins) adore it and was only about £12

thatwouldbeanecumenicalmatter Mon 03-Oct-16 19:27:18

Thank you Brie thanks star I have a few friends and family in hospital who'd love this!

Honestly looking at it all I reckon you couldn't read it all within a month - I'll give it a good go though wink grin

A1Sharon Mon 03-Oct-16 19:49:04

I heard someone else on here talk about the Country Living one, I'll try that instead.
<Never learns!>

5BlueHydrangea Mon 03-Oct-16 19:54:09

wobbly I was looking at that robin runner earlier! I is £12, I am tempted.

Magazine thing sounds good. Will investigate! !

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now