Christmas Day Brunch

(11 Posts)
Tralala33 Fri 30-Sep-16 09:22:19

My husband will be working Xmas afternoon/eve ( he will leave home at 12ish). We though instead of spending all morning cooking turkey etc for an early lunch we would do a nice brunch instead and not bother with traditional Xmas dinner. So any suggestions of what we can have? Will be me, DH, 18 month DS and maybe PIL.

MinnowAndTheBear Fri 30-Sep-16 09:24:42

I'm not really sure what brunch typically consists of, but if I were you I would do a full English breakfast.

Citizenerased123 Fri 30-Sep-16 19:05:23

Smoked salmon and scrambled eggs are a favourite in our family at xmas and don't involve much cooking. Maybe followed by pancakes with chocolate/ nutella and bananas. And squirty cream, don't ask me why but I always have to have squirty cream at christmas and never at any other time of year!

secondhoneymoon Sat 01-Oct-16 22:58:30

I would go for full English too, the works

00100001 Sat 01-Oct-16 23:00:56

Full English.

We have it every Christmas.

Bestthingever Sat 01-Oct-16 23:02:31

Smoked salmon and scrambled eggs is a must in our house although it's shit for me as I don't eat either but it's nice to have a family tradition the kids look forward to.

confuugled1 Sat 01-Oct-16 23:29:43

If you go for a full English, I often do these in the oven rather than on the hob, which makes it much easier. Stick everything on a baking tray and stick it in the oven, then do the eggs separately (or in pots baked in the oven or poached in the microwave).

Or go somewhere that does nice bits and bobs and choose a load of canapes and bits and bobs that take your fancy. Or even a nice ready made curry or similar. Or a load of pancakes with different things to put on them.

I used to know someone who liked christmas dinner but not the turkey so would make the bits they liked (stuffing, yorkshires, roast parsnips, carrots and peas) and enjoy them without the stress of doing the rest!

Davros Sun 02-Oct-16 17:09:37

Full English could include pigs in blankets and don't forget the crackers!

LottieDoubtie Sun 02-Oct-16 17:13:10

We had a similar situ a few years ago- cooked the full Christmas dinner on Christmas Eve and then fried up all the leftovers as a kind of Christmassy bubble and squeak for brunch the next day. It was amazing.

GogoGobo Sun 02-Oct-16 17:44:07

Ahhh we did a brunch last year for about 12 adults and 3 kids at 11.30am. We had some family starting and local friends so it was a good way of bringing everyone together. We did do a roast too but not until 6pm.
I laid out fresh berries/granola/yogurt and a platter of bacon/sausages:mushrooms and roast tomatoes and a platter of smoked salmon and potted shrimps ( from Booths) and a big bowl of scrambled eggs. We did jugs of juice and champagne and orange juice and a bread board with Sourdough. It was a lovely few hours but very hard to clear up after too much champagne and get back in the kitchen at 3pm to sort a roast!!!

VioletBam Sun 02-Oct-16 17:45:46

But what will you and PIL do for later? You'll be starving by the afternoon and with no nice dinner!

Perhaps you could also do an easy, but gorgeous buffet for the afternoon?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now