which Christmas market

(16 Posts)
roseteapot101 Mon 26-Sep-16 15:56:32

I would like to book a mini weekend a away with my other half to somewhere with a nice Christmas market in the uk.

which Christmas markets do you recommend we live in Hertfordshire so hoping to find something not to far but we can drive =)

PJBanana Mon 26-Sep-16 16:20:49

I can highly recommend Manchester's Christmas markets. I've been every year for the last 4 years and they get better every time. Lots of choice, but obviously not very near to you. Depends if you could get the train to Piccadilly.

I've never been but heard lovely things about Lincoln's Christmas markets too.

MadisonAvenue Mon 26-Sep-16 16:26:51

Birmingham's Christmas market is really good and not too far for you to drive. There are some really nice restaurants, pubs and bars in the city centre too if you're staying over.

roseteapot101 Mon 26-Sep-16 16:33:34

thank you Birmingham only a 2 hr drive from us so looks like a good choice , Manchester a 3hr drive though shame as that looks good to maybe another year.

MaddyHatter Mon 26-Sep-16 16:35:55

tbh, Birminghams isn't what it used to be, its the same 10 stalls on repeat offering exactly the same things.

If you've never been, then its worth a look, but having been going annually for the last 7 years, i have to say, last years was disappointing.

Telford are holding their first one this year, so i will be doing that one instead.

I've never been to the one in Manchester though.

Ruhrpott Mon 26-Sep-16 16:37:18

Bath is supposed to have really good Christmas markets

starwish Mon 26-Sep-16 17:36:23

Have to agree Birmingham's market is not as good as it used to be.

PalaceResident Mon 26-Sep-16 17:39:31

I moved from Birmingham to London 12 years ago. I was going to suggest the B'ham one but I'm disappointed th hear it's not what it used to be...

A friend lives in Manchester and says theirs is wonderful

PikachuSayBoo Mon 26-Sep-16 17:43:43

I was very disappointed by Birmingham last year. Lincoln is better.

MadisonAvenue Mon 26-Sep-16 17:44:08

I think they're pretty much all the same. We went to the Manchester one last year and it was no different to Birmingham, and we came across a smaller version on the South Bank a couple of years ago too.

wheatchief Mon 26-Sep-16 18:20:00

I didn't really find much to shout about at either Manchester or Birmingham markets but if you want to go to either of those cities anyway, then I'm sure you'd have a fab time wandering around. I liked the atmosphere in Bath and I like Bath as a place to visit so would recommend that but in and of themselves, the markets there are probably not much different to anywhere. That sounds really negative which isn't my intention - just that I haven't visited a Christmas market in the UK that doesn't have pretty much the same stalls as any others, so would personally pick somewhere I want to visit anyway.

WankersHacksandThieves Mon 26-Sep-16 18:20:58

Forget driving, get the train to Edinburgh smile

Ladybirdturd Mon 26-Sep-16 19:56:51

Edinburgh or Bath are both beautiful.

IsItGinTimeYet Tue 27-Sep-16 14:25:12

Oxford is small but beautiful. Nice location and decent shopping too.
Edinburgh is a must if you take the train, well worth a visit.

roseteapot101 Tue 27-Sep-16 22:35:40

i remember bath i went there many years ago in my teens it was nice just a shame its a bit to far.Sounds like Birmingham maybe like the Christmas market in hyde park then.The same stalls selling the same things hmmm .I will look into them though

Ruhrpott Wed 28-Sep-16 14:49:27

Why don't you get a cheap flight easyJet to Dortmund. The xmas market there is great and has the biggest Christmas tree ever.

Here's a photo from last year

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now