Wrapping gifts early

(16 Posts)
AlbusPercival Mon 26-Sep-16 07:58:19

I am about to go on Mat leave, but baby not due for another month.

I have already bought a lot of gifts (thanks bargain threads!) and was thinking of getting them wrapped now before there is a baby in the house.

Any of you have any tips on how to do this so they don't get torn and look a bit mangled by xmas?

Paulat2112 Mon 26-Sep-16 08:00:12

Use good quality wrapping paper, the thick stuff that is less likely to rip. I did that last year in November. Went out and got all the kids presents done in one shopping trip then wrapped it all, shoved it in black bags and stuck it in the loft! smile

Tiggles Mon 26-Sep-16 10:28:41

I wrap and then store in the loft where can't get knocked. But I have to write down what I've wrapped of I've no clue by December and have had to unwrap before to see if I've already purchased an item grin

AlbusPercival Mon 26-Sep-16 10:58:51

haha that's a very good point tiggles, especially as I am struggling with baby brain.

Hiphiphoorayhenry Mon 26-Sep-16 11:02:51

Label them very securely! I wrapped a few early once and the tags fell off, so I couldn't remember. Maybe use different paper for each person or take photos to help remember.

TitsTingle Mon 26-Sep-16 11:06:31

I've wrapped dd's already as I wrap as I go.
My tip would be to write a list and include it in the bag of gifts so you don't forget what you have bought and I always write the child's name really small in sharpie on the paper in case the tag falls off, they don't ever notice the name on Xmas morning.

TitsTingle Mon 26-Sep-16 11:07:13

Oh and use notes or email to keep another list of what you have bought.

HyacinthBouquetNo1 Mon 26-Sep-16 11:13:48

I am another who likes to get sorted early, but this year, I am late, I havent even bought anything yet!

I also do a list, I have a spreadsheet on Excel with 3 columns, one for each child and write in what I have bought and how much it cost, so that I can keep a track of how much i have spent on each of them so it is equal

Mrs5boys Mon 26-Sep-16 16:21:16

I only wrap the box type presents with no fiddly shapes or bits that could get ripped easily ,,, I put the tag on but no bow so that I can stack them easily ,,, it really helps to start now as its not very enjoyable to have a mountain of things to wrap and christmas fast approaching once December comes !

Mrs5boys Mon 26-Sep-16 16:23:51

I also do a list but its the old fashioned type in a notebook ,,,, I write what I brought next to persons name , how much it was , tick if they're done ,,, cross out items when they're wrapped smile

BowiesBlueEye Mon 26-Sep-16 16:31:45

Hyacinth me too! Everyone who knows about my Xmas spreadsheet thinks I'm weird, so thank you for making me feel normal grin

ThanksForAllTheFish Mon 26-Sep-16 19:57:03

I don't like to warp early. I set aside a day to wrap everything in one go. I put christmas music or movie on in the background and find its the one thing that really gets me in the Christmas spirit more than anything else. I would feel cheated if I wrapped everything in October or November.

BravingSpring Mon 26-Sep-16 21:26:21

I have a spreadsheet, with a list of everyone I have to buy for and the budget for their present, it gets ticked off as I go.

I always think I'm going to enjoy having a wrapping session, glass of wine, Festive music etc. but it always ends up being a last minute rush so this year I'm going to wrap as I buy. I've allocated a drawer in my dresser and one under my bed so they shouldn't get messed up, DD is old enough not to go looking.

TheBriscoesLady Mon 26-Sep-16 22:37:47

Like others, I would hate to wrap too early - it's part of the whole Christmas experience for me! In fact I'm always sad when I have no more presents to wrap as I enjoy it so much. If anyone lives in Essex, you're welcome to drop your gifts around to me and I'll wrap them for you!!

Crystal15 Tue 27-Sep-16 09:15:12

I've done it this year. All wrapped ready to go. Tbh I just use cheap paper for my young kids as it makes no difference. Then put in bin bags and stored away. I have an app on my phone that allows me to list everything I've bought and who its for, how much and can even add a pic smile

attheendoftheday Tue 27-Sep-16 12:38:34

My tip is to put the receiver's initial very small inside the corner of the wrapping paper for when the label inevitably falls off.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now