Christmas cracker alternatives?

(7 Posts)
AnaPhase88 Sun 25-Sep-16 13:44:05

Seasons greetings, all!

Does anyone have any good alternatives to piling the table with crackers? I do think that they have their place, but it seems a lot of money/waste for plastic tat and a paper hat that never fits my massive head anyway .

So, ideas please!

Thanks in advance

P.S. This is for a group of 30-somethings for a meal at my house. Kind of like our festive meal before going home for the holidays.

anyoldname76 Sun 25-Sep-16 15:34:10

cant help sorry, i love crackers grin

SardineJam Sun 25-Sep-16 15:36:44

How about a scratch card each?

DandelionAndBedrock Sun 25-Sep-16 15:47:56

We make up our own crackers - you can normally get a miniature of booze inside. You could turn it into a secret santa type thing - everyone is given one empty cracker and they have to fill it (set a budget) and leave it on the table for the person they bought for.

I have also done little Lego people in the past - either a random minifigure in a bag, or you can buy them online with Christmas jumpers here.

AtleastitsnotMonday Sun 25-Sep-16 16:52:27

Like sardine, we do scratch card in the wine glass

purpleladybird Sun 25-Sep-16 17:00:43

I would get everyone something to 'do'. Especially if you want a delay between courses. Perhaps Lego (the fake stuff called Loz Blocks you get from Ali Expeess - starts at 50p for a small one which is just what you would want) or a small puzzle from eBay or the £1 shop. Or table trivia.

I think the secret Santa idea is a good one. You could ask everyone to being a small gift which would fit inside a loo roll and use them to fill cheap crackers when they arrive.

AnaPhase88 Sun 25-Sep-16 17:37:35

Love the lego idea- also the scratchcard idea.
Maybe the secret Santa loo roll can rekindle my love of festive explosives.
Thanks, Guys!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now