Clever ways to hang stockings when one hasn't a mantle, please!

(32 Posts)
SelfieStick Sun 25-Sep-16 08:30:04

So, the last couple of years in my house (no mantle...<sob>), I've just laid the stockings out under the tree, which I don't like. I want to hang them, but the wall (which probably has a Victorian fireplace behind it!) has been plastered over and it's just a solid wall...no shelf or anything across it. I toyed with getting a fire surround for that wall and then, I dunno, putting candles in it or something, but I don't have the funds to do it. So, any ideas for cleverly displaying/hanging stockings in my lounge when you don't have a mantle?

WhirlwindHugs Sun 25-Sep-16 08:31:11

We hang them on hooks from our bookshelf.

DramaInPyjamas Sun 25-Sep-16 08:34:11

Over the door hangers

JasperDamerel Sun 25-Sep-16 08:35:11

We get ours on Christmas Eve and hang then from our beds, so no displaying. That probably isn't much help.

Farmerinthoseclothes Sun 25-Sep-16 08:37:08

I have this problem and had thought I would make a washing line with pegs for the stockings. You could always jazz it up with baubles or ivy or something to make it look pretty. Not totally sure where to hang it. Maybe under the telly and put on that channel that constantly shows a flickering log fire grin

SelfieStick Sun 25-Sep-16 08:39:02

Farmer oooh I like that idea! grin

DonkeyHotay Sun 25-Sep-16 08:41:04

I love the American cardboard chimney things. I haven't got one but they really appeal to me. Maybe you could make one with feature wallpaper on grin.

AnyTheWiser Sun 25-Sep-16 08:41:59

We have no mantels. We hang them in the bedrooms.

SelfieStick Sun 25-Sep-16 08:43:17

Donkey I actually looked those up on Pinterest and seriously thought about it. grin

ineedamoreadultieradult Sun 25-Sep-16 08:44:41

We hang them over the bedroom door handles

PaperdollCartoon Sun 25-Sep-16 08:44:52

We hung ours on the bottom of the stairs when we were growing up. (And then my sisters was hung on an adjacent chair once there were three of us)

SparklingXmas Sun 25-Sep-16 08:46:22

Bedroom door handles here too grin

SharkBastard Sun 25-Sep-16 08:48:23

We have these

DonkeyHotay Sun 25-Sep-16 08:52:00

£19 if my ds was younger I totally would. I love the stair case idea. I don't decorate the hall but I now want to.

GoofyIsACow Sun 25-Sep-16 08:52:34

We use these handbag hooks, there are a million and one designs here
here

AuditAngel Sun 25-Sep-16 09:00:00

Our staircase has a turn at the bottom, with a balcony type affair, we hang ours on there (with drawing pins when empty) and the they are propped on the flat stair when full.

SelfieStick Sun 25-Sep-16 09:05:55

Turns out there's a whole section dedicated to this very topic on Pinterest. No idea why I didn't think to look there! ideas!

SelfieStick Sun 25-Sep-16 09:07:59

Maybe I can find/make something like this?

timeforachangeithink Sun 25-Sep-16 09:08:51

We hang outs on either end of the curtain pole.

timeforachangeithink Sun 25-Sep-16 09:09:06

Ours not outs, fat fingers!

notagiraffe Sun 25-Sep-16 09:10:13

Put fairy lights/greenery/baubles going up the stairs and hang them from there. That would look gorgeous and means you can fill them without waking DC by sneaking into or near their rooms at night.

GingerIvy Sun 25-Sep-16 09:14:16

Our fireplace is walled over too. I have a bookcase there so they will be hung from the bookcase with something similar to shark's picture.

CiderwithBuda Sun 25-Sep-16 09:16:19

My dad does stockings for the grandchildren. He started when there was only 3. Then he ended up with 10 so the mantelpiece didn't work anymore! One year he hung a washing line up in a wall and hung them there but it didn't look great. The following year he hung them going up the stairs. It looked nice even without greenery etc. I think he just used the washing line again! My dad is practical rather than making things pretty!

StealthPolarBear Sun 25-Sep-16 09:18:30

What a very 1950s title smile
Ours lie over the top of the sofa, fc leaves them standing on the sofa

Ditsy4 Sun 25-Sep-16 09:19:54

I have uncovered our fireplace and we have an inglenook with a wood burner in it but I always want a mantle at Christmas. I have toyed with getting one made but I like it the way it is the rest of the year. I always wanted to hang the kids stockings. Resorted to creeping in and hanging them on bedposts. Nearly got caught once and had to say I was putting clean clothes away.

Try the charity shops. If you live up north I have a small one in my shed, it came out of son's house.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now