New or old iPod for 9 year old dd?

(10 Posts)
Dancergirl Thu 22-Sep-16 20:06:44

Youngest dd is 9 (will be 10 in Feb) and would love an iPod.

We have at home dd2's old Apple itouch one, she doesn't use it any more as she has an iPhone now. I was thinking of giving dd3 that one but both my older dds say to get her a new one as that one is a bit old now.

WWYD?

OverAndAbove Thu 22-Sep-16 23:00:41

Did your older DDs have one when they were her age? I would get her the equivalent one (ie a new one if that's what they had)

Dancergirl Fri 23-Sep-16 10:32:11

They were a bit older, maybe 10.5 or 11 but not too much older....

ayeokthen Fri 23-Sep-16 10:34:16

I'd give the old one first, and once she's proven she can take care of it, update it next birthday or Christmas, whichever is easier. All our tech age DCs started with older models, 2 have graduated to newer ones, 1 keeps smashing the old one so hasn't.

GloriousGoosebumps Fri 23-Sep-16 10:46:06

If the old ipod touch is actually dd2's, why would you feel able to take it away from her and give it to dd3? Do you normally give your children presents which you then take away?

ayeokthen Fri 23-Sep-16 10:48:24

GloriousGoosebumps I think the intention was handing down, not taking away.

AndNowItsSeven Fri 23-Sep-16 10:50:06

Glorious she doesn't use it anymore.
Op the old iPod can have iOS 10 so that will eventually be an issue.

AndNowItsSeven Fri 23-Sep-16 10:50:18

*can't

Dancergirl Fri 23-Sep-16 10:52:23

glorious what an odd comment. Dd2 doesn't want or use it any more. She has an iPhone which she is delighted with.

WeAllHaveWings Sat 24-Sep-16 19:46:34

I would give her the old ipod (not for xmas, just because its not being used) and see if she uses it or wants a new one.

If she uses and is happy with this get her something else (and maybe a new one next year), and some iTunes for xmas.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now