Best mincemeat recipe

(7 Posts)
redpickle Mon 19-Sep-16 15:52:51

I'm looking for a nice juicy recipe. I did Delia's last year and it was too dry, even after adding lots of liquid to the jar. Which is your favourite ?

I have made Delia's twice, and whilst it looks very dry in the jar, it tastes delicious when you cook with it, IMO.

canyou Mon 19-Sep-16 16:02:00

My Nana's recipe andI have no clue where it came from ☺
2 lrg apples cooked to a pulp
2 oranges zest and juice
2 lemons juice and zest
250 gm suet
275g each of raisins, currants, sultanas, cranberries
125gm peel
650g brown sugar
50g ground almonds
2tsp mixed spice
75 ml brandy (more to add if it looks dry)

Cook spple and cool
Mix all ing
Keep for 2 weeks before using

We are gf so I either leave out the suet and I use grated lard or butter grated.

tkband3 Mon 19-Sep-16 16:02:55

This is amazing - I got it from a Sainsbury's mag a few years ago.

Peel and grate 400g Bramley apples in a pan with 500ml water. Bring to the boil and stir in 100g each of dried cranberries, raisins, sultanas, chopped dried apricots and crystallised ginger. Simmer for 30 mins then add 75g chopped almonds, 4 tbsps brandy and a little sugar to taste. (I generally add a bit more brandy grin).

canyou Mon 19-Sep-16 16:03:19

Dont forget your fruit is holding all the liquid, it will not be swishing around in the jar ☺

canyou Mon 19-Sep-16 16:06:12

Sorry meant to say, put in a low oven or simmer until sugar has disolved if you ate keeping it for longer then 3 weeks . slow cook for 3 hrs on low or Instant pot for 15 min

MooseyMoo Tue 20-Sep-16 15:35:49

The best recipe I've used is Delia's. Once it's cooked (3 hours), it's swimming in fat (from the suet) but dries out and conceals a round the fruit. You just need to keep stirring it as it cools to make sure everything is evenly coated whilst it's cooling down.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now