Christmas cake and pud

(4 Posts)
wheatchief Mon 19-Sep-16 11:20:36

It's feeling distinctly autumnal and my thoughts have turned to Christmas baking. Well, actually, my oh has finally given in and let me witter on about it. I've made a few cakes in the past and think I'm making nigella's again. Or possibly delia's. Whichever has fewer nuts, we tried loads of recipes last year.

So, then I thought I might make a pud. Never done it before but my dad and I are Xmas pud addicts and my parents are coming to us this year so thought it would be nice. I've looked at a few old threads and nigella's, without suet, seems to get good reviews. Does it taste like normal Christmas pud? I'd like a traditional tasting one and have no problem with what suet is/using it but sometimes find in commercial puds and mincemeat that I get a kind of furry sensation after eating them which I've been told is the suet. Do they just use too much?

Also, steaming... Can I do that in the slow cooker or does it need to be on the hob? Seems a hell of a lot of gas for one pud but if that's what it takes...

flapjackfairy Mon 19-Sep-16 15:30:10

Can enlighten re recipes and suet but i have put pud in slow cooker both to cook and reheat . Works really well and you can put it on and forget about it .

wheatchief Mon 19-Sep-16 16:33:22

Thanks flapjack, how long did you put it on for, and did you put it on a saucer or just on the bottom of the slowcooker?

flapjackfairy Mon 19-Sep-16 18:07:53

I just put on bottom and set it on auto so that it switched to low once i got it up to temp. Fill up to 2/3 with water and if cooking from raw as it were leave for 13 hrs or so . Obviously less time to reheat or use microwave. Cover top with foil as usual to keep water out. Happy cooking

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now