Would this be an ok gift for a boy aged 13-16?

(18 Posts)
NapQueen Thu 15-Sep-16 21:23:29

I've three young lads in the extended family I buy a gift for at Christmas. I usually like to just spend 8-10 pounds.

I was thinking of getting them one of these each and filling it with chocs or sweets. They all play sports at school so hope it would get some use and dh likes the brand, says it's relatively popular.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B00KNCP6PE/ref=ox_sc_act_image_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE

lostscot Thu 15-Sep-16 21:26:03

Ds is 8, he'd be happy to receive a new water bottle especially with added sweets :-)

NapQueen Thu 15-Sep-16 21:34:44

Grand. A couple of then have sisters who I find easy to buy for but I may do something similar there's some loves drink bottles with straws that are quite feminine.

ImperialBlether Thu 15-Sep-16 21:40:40

To be honest, most lads that age tend to prefer hard cash!

ThroughThickAndThin01 Thu 15-Sep-16 21:42:24

Yep, cash is very popular.

NapQueen Thu 15-Sep-16 21:50:02

I don't mind sticking a tenner in their birthday cards but it just feels odd to not give a wrapped gift at Christmas.

Chasingsquirrels Thu 15-Sep-16 21:53:43

I don't know the brand at all (and my 10 & 14 yo's wouldn't care), but Pound land bottles look identical.
Both mine would like a water bottle full of sweets!

Onlyonce Thu 15-Sep-16 21:56:28

I think it's a good idea. I have nephews that age

ImperialBlether Thu 15-Sep-16 22:06:25

The chances are they already have a water bottle, though, and Christmas sweets are so cheap they'll probably have loads at home, too. A sixteen year old isn't a child any more, OP - they have tons of things they want to buy and not enough money to buy it, usually. Something like an Amazon voucher or a voucher for a clothes shop would be much more useful to them than some sweets.

RainbowDashstolemyidentity Thu 15-Sep-16 22:12:30

The Canterbury brand is normally connected with rugby so if they're into that then go for it!

JemimaMuddledUp Thu 15-Sep-16 22:13:45

It is a rugby brand.

I have a 12yo and a 14yo and I'm not sure how impressed they'd be. DS1 plays lots of sport, but has several water bottles already. DS2 isn't sporty and would prefer a book token! Everyone is different.

My teenage nephews like WHSmiths gift cards as they can buy magazines (football or cycling ones usually). A WHSmiths gift card and a big bag of Maltesers and they'd be happy.

RainbowDashstolemyidentity Thu 15-Sep-16 22:14:05

Although my nearly 17 yr old DS would prefer cash or iTunes voucher, if you're worried about them having nothing to open, attach it to a big bar of choc & wrap it up!

confuugled1 Fri 16-Sep-16 00:35:21

DS1 is only 11 but already has a big collection of water bottles including lots that he's been given when playing at tournaments. Most of them are unused as he likes the ones that are transparent for at least part of the bottle - he hates not being able to see into the bottle, so that one would go into his collection of ones that don't get used.

He'd prefer to get a big toblerone or box of maltesers (pound each in Poundland) or a set of pens/stationnery and a fiver to go with it if you wanted something to wrap up... Or indeed just the cash - although I appreciate if you have 3 dc to buy for, if you can sort something for £8 instead of £10 the savings soon mount up if you can save a couple of pounds on all your presents!

happsymum Fri 16-Sep-16 02:52:05

what about this jelly bean game or this if he's into minecraft book for the 10yr old .

and This wallet or This emergency coin saver and bar choc for the 16?

I8toys Fri 16-Sep-16 10:43:17

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Tiggles Fri 16-Sep-16 10:58:49

My 14 year old would be happy with a water bottle/sweets but if I am being completely honest would prefer an amazon voucher. However other little things that have randomly taken his interest were a wallet ninja and paracord to make bracelets out of.

SantasLittleMonkeyButler Sat 17-Sep-16 20:20:16

My DSs would be happy with that smile. They are 15 and (almost) 19.

As much as they like cash, they do also like having some presents to open at Christmas.

NapQueen Sat 17-Sep-16 20:26:54

Ordered. Going to fill with mini snickers and Mars bars.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now