Gift for Women

(9 Posts)
user1470849338 Wed 14-Sep-16 23:26:29

I'm from a big family so we normally do a form of secret santa. This year we're doing that the women all buy a female-orientated £20 present and the men buy a man's one. There's then a convoluted draw on the day and someone gets a present. So basically, I have to buy a £20 present for someone that could be my 70yr old mother, my sil or any of my sisters or myself. Who, unsurprisingly, all like different things. I'd rather not get something completely naff but really I'm all out of ideas.

Last year I got a gorgeous scarf and tried to arrange that I got it myself but one of my sisters did and then it irritated her sensitive skin! (although this did mean that I ended up getting it, can't wait for the colder weather to wear it.)

Any help much appreciated! Oh, and did I mention we live all over, including different countries? And vouchers are banned. confused

BikeRunSki Wed 14-Sep-16 23:29:48

I hate to say it, but that's a terrible idea!

Erm.... Wine?

ilovelamp82 Thu 15-Sep-16 09:13:02

I find buying for women really difficult. But I always love to receive a yankee candle. That's what I get for most women these days and it always goes down very well, and would be generic enough for everyone to like.

user1470849338 Thu 15-Sep-16 18:39:17

BikeRunSki I don't like it either, but it's not my turn to organise so I'm trying not to argue/take over.

Yankee candle isn't a bad idea, I just got a greenhouse one for my birthday and I LOVE it.

Half of the people don't drink wine (including myself) so that's pretty much out. Although there is a mulled mead that I've seen and I might get a little bottle of that to top it up.

BikeRunSki Thu 15-Sep-16 19:26:06

See, I'd hate a candle, and it would go straight to the next school tombla. Ditto toiletries, cosmetics and chocolates.

I'd love some nice wooly socks, gloves or hat. Stripes or fair isle.

'

AmeliaJack Thu 15-Sep-16 19:28:07

Hmm, that's actually quite difficult.

Really nice handcream?

elQuintoConyo Thu 15-Sep-16 23:09:45

One of those mobile phone battery chargers that you carry in your handbag for when you're on your last 5% and really need to MN on the commute home grin i have one on my wishlist.

I too would just chuck a candle. I don't know how much Yankees cost, are they a lot/pretty fancy?

Filofax.
Coffee table-sized globe.
Glow in the dark sticky stars for the ceiling.
A slinky. Or 20.

Or just buy something you'd like then meet up in the gazebo and swap between you!

Whyhellodaffodil Thu 15-Sep-16 23:13:21

Nice stationary? Pretty notebook/moleskine and a couple of nice pens?

user1470849338 Thu 15-Sep-16 23:30:01

elquintoconyo

Actually a globe is genius. A good 50+% (including me) would love that. Would TK Maxx be best you think? I'd want one that is actually correct in terms of countries and I'm not sure if a lot of the fancy ones have pretty dated geography.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now