Ipod Touch for nearly 9 yo

(7 Posts)
user1471611374 Wed 07-Sep-16 11:46:43

Am thinking of getting an ipod touch for our DS who will be nearly 9 at Christmas and can't decide if he is too young or not? He has access to an ipad that he can use but thought this may be more personal and he really enjoys taking photo's/videos - will it be useful for this?

OSETmum Wed 07-Sep-16 20:04:38

Nah, he's not too young. What are you worrying about: time spent on the device? Looking after it? E safety?

DS is 7 and has an iPad and iPhone. He uses them to play games ( he's not allowed to download apps without asking), take photos, message his friends ( I keep a check on this!), listen to Spotify sometimes through his Bluetooth speaker, watch YouTube and Netflix, all sorts really. He knows he has to come off then when he's told and his security settings are set as high as possible. He can only go on a website for the first time if I authorise it.

Bumpmadethemjump Wed 07-Sep-16 20:07:41

That would be a perfect present for him! Their a good size to hold so less likely to be smashed than an iPad too. Loads of free games he can download too. Just make sure you get a case for it incase!

Buzzardbird Wed 07-Sep-16 20:07:43

No, not too young. DD had one at 7 but didn't play with it much once she got her hands on a tablet.

Shitton Wed 07-Sep-16 21:06:51

Ds 8 has one and he uses it loads. Mainly for listeninh to audible books, taking photls and a few games. I was also unsure as he had a tablet but uses his ipod differently. Turned out to be a good buy

WhoKnowsWhereTheTimeG0es Wed 07-Sep-16 21:10:49

Mine got them at 10 and 8 (3 years ago) and they have been in constant use ever since, our tablets have been rendered completely redundant. Games, music, camera, imessage, Kindle app for reading, audio books. Much lighter to take to places outside the home compared to tablets too.

user1471611374 Thu 08-Sep-16 06:22:05

Thank you all for your responses. I think I was more concerned that it wouldn't be used that much as he already has access to a tablet but I can see that it would have it's uses so think I'll put that on the list to buy smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now