How soon is too soon?

(17 Posts)
WhatTheActualFugg Mon 05-Sep-16 19:38:51

To send out xmas invites?

What's the magic date to catch people early enough before they get booked up, yet late enough not to cause hmm and shock?

OSETmum Mon 05-Sep-16 19:54:35

Boxing Day!

WhatTheActualFugg Mon 05-Sep-16 19:57:33

grin

TheWoollybacksWife Mon 05-Sep-16 20:01:21

I've already asked my mum. Chances are she'll stay at home and go to my sister for dinner but I have to ask.

HandbagCrazy Tue 06-Sep-16 20:33:46

My mum asked me at the beginning of August and is having palpitations because I haven't answered yet grin

We usually make plans mid October although last year we made plans then decided to go away to Iceland so I may not be the best person to ask!

HandbagCrazy Tue 06-Sep-16 20:33:53

My mum asked me at the beginning of August and is having palpitations because I haven't answered yet grin

We usually make plans mid October although last year we made plans then decided to go away to Iceland so I may not be the best person to ask!

HandbagCrazy Tue 06-Sep-16 20:34:29

Oh bugger! Sorry blush

WhatTheActualFugg Tue 06-Sep-16 21:44:40

How was Iceland Handbag?

I'm debating a quick trip to Lapland.

elQuintoConyo Tue 06-Sep-16 23:32:23

DH's dad, one brother and one sister come to us for Christmas dinner (6pm-ish). Neither the other two brothers or other sister (DH is one of 6, do try and keep up grin) would even let the thought enter their heads that they could host them.

When DMil was in hospital a few Christmases ago, DBil and DSil were heading towards a Chinese for Christmas lunch when I told them to get their butts to ours and we had a sliver of Turkey each and one roast potato! We saved some for DFil when he swapped with DBil to sit in the hospital at DMil's side.

Since then they have come to us. Not very fancy food, but company, warmth, love - and they can help DS play with his toys!

WhatTheActualFugg Wed 07-Sep-16 07:20:27

That's very charitable if you Quinto. Death bed or not, no ones getting my roast potatoes!! grin

I've decided from now on we'll have our proper Christmas dinner on Christmas Eve then a yummy left-overs spread for Christmas Day. Can't wait!

elQuintoConyo Wed 07-Sep-16 14:56:30

Thanks Fugg i was horrified when i found out they were just going to go to a Chinese sad it hadn't crossed my mind what they'd do - and it hadn't crossed DH's either.

So we had minimum Christmas food, but enough food to go round as we also made oven chips and Ikea meatballs grin

HandbagCrazy Wed 07-Sep-16 21:02:13

Whatthe it was amazing. They seem to use simple decorations but everywhere was beautiful. It was lovely and gold with the perfect dusting of snow. Definitely go if you can. I'm waiting to have children (one day - fingers crossed) and use them as an excuse to go to Lapland smile

HandbagCrazy Wed 07-Sep-16 21:03:12

*cold not gold confusedblush

lapsedorienteerer Wed 07-Sep-16 21:06:39

Depends whether you mean invites for Christmas Day itself, or a Christmas period party? If it's Christmas Day for family I'd get it sorted sooner rather than later.

BiddyPop Thu 08-Sep-16 10:12:34

We are resigned to the fact that we will never host the "family" for Christmas dinner - they just don't travel on either side.

But I booked a cottage back at Easter for us so that we can go down but have some independence....much needed as I almost went stir crazy being utterly confined to 1 house and a quick visit to the other but no walks or escape for a drive possible and the weather was utterly atrocious so I had a serious case of cabin fever. I need a quiet corner for at least half an hour a day in the festive season.

GETTINGLIKEMYMOTHER Thu 08-Sep-16 11:55:59

Had to invite brother and SiL a few weeks ago - 4 others coming from the US for Christmas so have rented a big house in Devon for a week. Had to check with B and SiL since had to know how many bedrooms we'd need.
12 adults and 2 babies!!

I have already started making a list, top of which is Turkey Foil. We will need to take everything since no good old 24 hour Asda anywhere near.
Shall be shopping very early for all sorts this year.

WhatTheActualFugg Thu 08-Sep-16 12:06:46

Yes, I mean family for xmas eve and day.

I might try and hold off until 1st oct.

First piece of xmas shopping arrived today. Teeny tiny xmas stocking for DD's doll!! smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now