Book suggestions for 12 year old DN

(13 Posts)
digitalpaintartist Sun 04-Sep-16 19:56:05

Looking for book recommendations for DN. Finding this extremely difficult as she is quite young for her age. I loved Jacqueline Wilson at that age but they are too old for her, she isn't into Enid Blyton either. Does enjoy the David Walliams books though! TIA

Rusulka Mon 05-Sep-16 05:03:13

How about some Roald Dahl books? They're always good fun. My favourite I always recommend is 'the 13 & a half lives of captain Bluebear' by Walter Moers. It's a lovely big thick book full of the various adventures of this bear set in an amazing fantasy world, and has great funny illustrations.

Heirhelp Mon 05-Sep-16 05:55:19

Harry Potter.

I am surprised that J Wilson are too old for her. Is it the content or reading level?

happyend Mon 05-Sep-16 06:03:36

There is a series of books by Lauren Child called Ruby Redfort. They are good.

Scootergrrrl Mon 05-Sep-16 06:12:51

Stargirl by Jerry Spinelli is lovely, and I'd second the Ruby Redfort suggestion.

digitalpaintartist Mon 05-Sep-16 12:33:54

Thanks all. It's the JW content that's too old unfortunately which is a shame because I was a huge fan and have tons in the garage that she could have! I'll look into the suggestions givensmile

mouldycheesefan Mon 05-Sep-16 12:37:51

Really? My eight year old has read a lot of the Jacqueline Wilsons, hetty feather, opal plumstead etc. Is it all Jacqueline Wilson that are banned or just some? As some are for 8-11 year olds so your niece may have grown out of those before she gets a chance to read them!

digitalpaintartist Mon 05-Sep-16 13:00:51

Sis in law has banned JW and I'm reluctant to buy any just in case it appears that I'm undermining sis.

mouldycheesefan Mon 05-Sep-16 13:07:58

In that case no, don't get Jacqueline Wilson!

neddle Mon 05-Sep-16 13:14:06

What about this series?

Usborne do some pretty good series for older children - they're not all baby and toddler books (I used to be a rep).

They tend to be aimed at the age group of the characters if you see what I mean.

exexpat Mon 05-Sep-16 13:21:22

Maybe try some of the Eva Ibbotson ones for older children? Eg Journey to the River Sea? Percy Jackson books? Harry Potter if she hasn't read it.

If her mother considers Jacqueline Wilson inappropriate at 12, though, I expect a lot of the books her peers are reading would not meet with her approval. Eg DD is now 13, and last year was reading all the Hunger Games, Maze Runner and Divergent books, and had already read pretty much every thing by Robert Muchamore. They all have much more adult themes than Jacqueline Wilson, which I might hesitate about for a nine-year-old but by 10 or 11 should be fine.

Wayfarersonbaby Mon 05-Sep-16 14:04:01

Some of the Diana Wynne Jones books aimed at slightly younger readers would be ideal - one of the following:

Witch Week
The Magicians of Caprona
Howl's Moving Castle
Charmed Life
A Tale of Time City

That1950sMum Mon 05-Sep-16 14:10:05

Definitely Harry Potter, My DD also loved the Michelle Paver Wolf Brother series, Holly Webb are nicely written but quite young, both my DS and DD liked David Baddiel's books (I think they're terrible!), The Michael Morpurgo Pied Piper of Hamlyn is a beautiful book - wonderful illustrations.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now