Is a bike a good Christmas gift, or is it not fair in this situation?

(11 Posts)
DucklingDay Sun 04-Sep-16 17:39:46

DS1 has a (mild) disability that means he can't ride a standard bike. We bought him a special one, not for Christmas, just because he needed it. Tbh he is not keen on it, but we thought having one would help his physical development. He would not have been impressed to get one as a present really, as he sees it as a chore to have to ride it.

DS2 would actively like a standard bike. I can't decide whether it would be unfair to give it to him as his Christmas present, seeing as we bought DS1 his outside any occasion like Christmas/birthday. But DS2 would think it was a good present.

If we didn't give it at Christmas, we would possibly buy it for him now, which would mean that he would have the autumn to enjoy it.

If we bought it now, we would inevitably have quite a bit less to spend on Christmas, (unless we managed to get hold of a second hand one).

I can't decide what to do.

PixieMiss Sun 04-Sep-16 18:14:26

How old is DS2? Would he understand the concept of having it now as an "early Xmas present" with smaller things on the day?

I assume his birthday this year has been and gone?

DucklingDay Sun 04-Sep-16 18:37:40

He was 5 in May. I should have got him one for that birthday, but too late now.
If I got it now, I would cut down on Christmas spending for both boys, not just DS2. I think he is too young to properly understand getting a Christmas present early.
But actually, I wouldn't normally even spend the amount a bike costs on him at Christmas anyway, so we would have to do some very careful budgeting.
Maybe second-hand is the way to go.

Floralnomad Sun 04-Sep-16 18:39:52

Id leave it and get it for his birthday next May .

LittleBoat Sun 04-Sep-16 18:45:12

I would get him a second hand bike now.

We bought ds a bike for Christmas once, and the weather was so bad he hardly used till till June by which time he'd had a massive growth spurt and almost outgrown it.

Since then, we've bought him second hand bikes as he needed them so he always has one. He plays out on it almost every day.

I'll get a new one when (and if) he stops growing.

LittleBoat Sun 04-Sep-16 18:46:24

a new bike for Christmas once...

Sadik Sun 04-Sep-16 18:48:46

I'd buy second hand now, there's lots of the autumn still left to enjoy it.

SpringerS Sun 04-Sep-16 19:16:36

Absolutely get him a second hand bike now. It's nearly 4 months until Christmas (which feels about 3 years to a 5 year old) and by Christmas the weather may be too bad for him to be able to use his present much which can be very deflating on Christmas morning.

Mybeardeddragonjustdied2016 Sun 04-Sep-16 19:18:44

EBay.
Bought lots off there these past years and not one looked less than brand new!

Alanna1 Sun 04-Sep-16 19:19:52

I buy all my children's bikes second-hand, and I'd get it now, too. Bikes are a developmental stage toy I think and so good for physical fitness. Just get something small at xmas - at 5 he'll think most things are still pretty good at xmas.

DucklingDay Sun 04-Sep-16 20:41:02

I'm convinced!
I'll get one now and something smaller for Christmas.
Off to scour ebay for second-hand boy's bikes now.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now